finestour

Jerry has 100,000 Thoughts, I hear likes gin and tonic, but what's his CPU, RAM and hard disk speed?

I want to hear the success stories, about big brains running fast and well, what type of equipment they are on and if there is anything special you do to get high performance.

Thank you!

Spacenexus
<p style="margin: 0px;">Here are my current system specs running an 85,000 thought / 600GB internal attachment volume brain:</p><p style="margin: 0px;"> </p><p style="margin: 0px;">TB7028<br>Java 32bit Version 6 Update 30 (build 1.6.0_30-b12)<br>IE9 & Firefox 9.0.1<br>Office 2010 32bit<br>Win7 64bit, 8GB RAM + 8GB Virtual RAM<br>Intel Core2 Duo U9600@1.6GHz, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4550</p><p style="margin: 0px;"> </p><p style="margin: 0px;">Performance for the most part is ok. Quite often the brain freezes mid operation with very high disk activity with a corresponding output file that grows in size to MBs. I've noticed the performance drops corresponding to either low disk space or new installs, perhaps mixing admin permissions. I haven't characterised which yet. All other brains in the hundreds or low thousands of thoughts work well.</p><p style="margin: 0px;"> </p><p style="margin: 0px;">Despite these occasional intermittent experiences which i think are non systematic and hardware/installation or even Win7 related, TheBrain is highly versatile with ridiculously huge datasets and infinitely scalable. </p><p style="margin: 0px;"> </p><p style="margin: 0px;">Jim</p><p style="margin: 0px;"> </p>
@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
enkidu
Given your system resources, I'm wondering what amount of RAM you are allocating to your JVM for brains of that size ...

I got much smaller brains, ( <2000 ) and while I found that the biggest slowdown is disk fragmentation, I feel more comfortable with 

start javaw -Xmx512m

than the default 256MB

how about you ?

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software