mctrexler
@mcaton @CaptainJustice

OK, I'm very confused.  I remember hearing that "no, TB can't do Boolean searches."  But in 2018, Matt noted that "The "mock +stratton -Shell" search formatting should work fine for you. The reason you were seeing different searches for "mock +stratton" and "mock and stratton" is because you were including the word "and" in your search."  That's a Boolean search. And Harlan has previously noted (a decade ago) that TB allows Boolean searches, and much more recently that TB uses the Windows search, which clearly can handle Boolean searches, so shouldn't TB be able to?  

But there is no reference to such searches in the Users Guide, and support told me that TB 11 does not support Boolean instant searches, but that you can accomplish the same thing with Reports.  I don't see how Reports substitute for Boolean searchers, and when I use the "+" and "-" as part of instant search it seems to work. 

So which is it?  Can one do Boolean searches?  And if so, how does one do "or?"   And while Reports allow you a lot of filtering, is there anything there that begins to approximate a Boolean search?  

Mark
Windows 10, TB 11.876

DavidGretzschel

-shell works in the search box. +stratton does not work in the search box.
mock search.png noshell.pngstratton fail.png

Same results for the "search"-field in Reports.
report -shell.png stratton fail report.png

In Report you can "or" different types. "And"-ing them wouldn't make sense, since a Thought can only have one type.

Tags can be included. The way to do that is by clicking a tag in the "Types/Tags"-filter once, giving it a "+".
If you add a "plus" to multiple tags, it'll only show tags, that have all the those tags.
This is very confusing, since in formal logic, "+" would stand for "or" or less commonly for "xor".
It never stands for "and". However multiple plusses will result in an "and"-search.

If you click a tag again, it'll have a "-" and exclude everything having that tag.
There is no way to directly show all Thoughts having tag A and/or having tag B.

You have to click plus on tag A, add it all to Selection, click tag A twice again to make it neutral, click Tag B and add all those results to Selection.
Then paste that to an ad-hoc Thought or look at them in the Selection box.
So tag-filtering is very fiddly and inconvenient for making Boolean searches.

Edit:
Regarding tag-search, the best way, I could think of after a couple of minutes.... would be to use three symbols.
∨ for or-ed tags, ∧ for and-ed tags, ¬ for excluded tags. (ya know, the unambiguous conventional ones, people understand)
Left-clicking on a tag would make it first ∨, then ∧, then blank again.
Right-clicking would add the ¬-symbol, so we can get support for nand and xor.
I think that should cover pretty much everyone's basic searching needs, when it comes to tags.
If this dialog would ever be keyboard accesible, left-click could be done via space and right-click by shift-space.
Edit 2:
Actually I don't think doing nor and nand like that would work, for algebra reasons, I can't be bothered to check right now. So nvm that part.
But having and, or and not would already be much more powerful and intuitive...
Actually, it might also not be that intuitive, because of associativity and stuff?
Would have to rethink this.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

mctrexler
@DavidGretzschel

David, you're not thinking of the Boolean search terms correctly.   "mock +stratton" would require both to be in the same thought.  The "+" is not an "or".  Of course it's not entirely clear what the + means since search is already looking for the occurrence of both terms even without the +.  But at least the minus works in search, and perhaps the + does as well.  

The + and - don't work at all in the Reports (per TB).  It's not finding your "mock -shell" because you don't have any thoughts with exactly "mock -shell."  

Mark
DavidGretzschel
@mctrexler
"mock -shell" in Reports (and "instant search) shows all terms which have "mock", but don't have "shell".
If "-shell" is about excluding the term "shell", it works. (maybe recheck the screenshots, they're a bit small, but you can zoom in or click on them)

instant-search:
Now as to "mock +shell", I can't find any difference between it and "mock shell" (without the plus) in instant-search (though the order for the two results is reversed). Both show "mock shell" and "mock lasagna prentiss cat shell", but do not show "mock" or "stratton".

mockingmockiadf.png 
re: Report search

Now "mock shell" is the same as in instant search. However "mock +shell" finds neither "mock shell" nor does it find "mock lasagna prentiss cat shell". It finds nothing. The plus seems to be doing something in the search-field here, but I don't know what.
AAAAA.png 
You're right, I have no idea what any of those are supposed to mean. No documentation -> guesswork.
But I think I can be sure that the minus is about excluding terms.

Edit: off-topic, but checking user guide v8, I learnt about automatic acronyms:acro.png 
No idea, if that's useful, but I'm delighted.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software