bkonia
After several years away from TheBrain, the new notes editor has lured me back in. I must admit, I'm impressed with the implementation. It's an innovative re-imagining of how a Markdown editor should work, so good job on that!

I have noticed a few issues with the Alpha build and have some feature requests for your consideration:
  1. I don't like how the notes editor starts out small and gradually grows as the user enters content. It looks ugly having a huge white dead area between the bottom of the editor and the bottom of the screen. Also, it grows sluggishly. Even on my Core i7 CPU, I can literally watch it redraw the editor box each time it grows by one line. Since the space below the editor isn't used for anything else, why not have it fill up the entire space right away, regardless of how much content the user has entered?
  2. I'd like an option to NOT display the last search phrase when clicking in the search box. It's annoying to have to manually delete the previous search each time I click in the search box.
  3. I'm pretty sure in older versions of TB, you could drag attachments into the plex and it would automatically create a thought for each attachment. This no longer seems to work. Also, there's no way to perform bulk operations on attachments, like deleting multiple attachments. You can shift-select multiple attachments, but then you can't do anything with the selection.
  4. In the Find/Replace utility, I'd like an option to update attachment names.
  5. I've imported hundreds of Markdown documents into TB, but sadly it doesn't provide an internal Markdown viewer, so I can't view them internally. Considering TB now uses a Markdown-based editor, it seems reasonable that it should support viewing of imported Markdown documents, instead of having to open them in an external Markdown viewer.
  6. BrainBox is a nice feature, but it would be better if it appeared as a drive in File Explorer, so you could download documents directly to BrainBox, rather than the current awkward process of downloading them to a folder, then using the Send To function to move them from the folder to BrainBox.
zenrain
For #2, just start typing, no need to delete. That behaviour was introduced so if you are searching, select the wrong thought, it will re-populate the same search results you typed quicker. If you want a new search, just type the words.

For #6, see this thread.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
bkonia
@zenrain, it doesn't work that way for me. If I just start typing, whatever I type adds to the old search phrase. It doesn't automatically delete the old phrase like it would if it automatically highlighted the old phrase when you click in the box. I'm on Windows BTW. Maybe it works better on MacOS?
jbaty
I'll second both #1 and #2. 

#1 because it just seems weird. Subjective, I know.

#2 because it adds a little lag nearly every time I search. It does this just in case I happen to want to rerun the same search, which I almost never do. I realize I can "just start typing" but it still adds some (what I believe to be) unnecessary overhead each time.  In other words, it feels "in the way" more often than it helps. 

Generally, though, the new editor is awesome!
Harlan
Thanks for the feedback. It’s nice to hear that the new editor is making an impression. 

For #2, just click on the plex when you want to search instead of the text box and the last search will not reappear. (It should work as zenrain described - that must be a windows only bug i’d guess) Alternatively, you could also press Ctrl/Cmd+S. 
Regards,
-Harlan
Cerebrum
Deleted.

jbaty
"just click on the plex when you want to search" 

Yes, that works but I seem unable to break the habit of just clicking in the box I'm about to type into. I'll work on updating my muscle memory 🙂
metta
@jbaty ~

FWIW, I ran into exactly the same "muscle memory" issue -- and the quick fix I recently found is to hit the "Escape" key when I land in the search box in the middle of existing text. This deletes the residual text in the search box, but keeps the cursor in place, so you can start typing, without any interference. ÃƒÂ°Ã…¸Ëœâ€°
jbaty
metta wrote:
@jbaty ~

...the quick fix I recently found is to hit the "Escape" key when I land in the search box in the middle of existing text...

I'll work on that one, thanks 🙂
metta
@bkonia ~

Thanks for sharing your feedback.

+1 specifically for items #1 and #3:
> Hide the "dead" space behind note editor (i.e. match the background color with the default color of the note)
> Bulk operations on attachments have been sorely missed ever since the launch of TB9

Re: dropping attachments into the plex and creating a new thought:
> This is working for me. Perhaps you could document the issue in a support ticket and share your output log?
-- Access Output log from within TheBrain's top menu: Help > Open Log Directory

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software