Kriggel23
Tested again the import function of TB9.

TB8 statistics say: 25.965 thoughts, 62.766 links, 18.085 notes, 23.092 internal file attachments.

The main issues are:
  • quite a number of thoughts lost their notes; TB9 statistics say, that there are 21 additional notes now, but that's wrong;
  • 3940 internal file attachments are gone according to TB9 statistics, seems to match;
  • the file Output.log contains multiple error messages as: "2016-06-20 05:00:00.8953 | ERROR | TheBrain.Core.DataExchange.JsonImporter | [377] !!!!!!!!! Could not find file "/Users/myUser/.TheBrain/v9/Working/OaN1tjHft0yPqjsgG4jQyQ/M/59f57462-f910-9a03-def6-1dcab855f2bb/notes.rtf". ::: /Users/myUser/.TheBrain/v9/Working/OaN1tjHft0yPqjsgG4jQyQ/M/59f57462-f910-9a03-def6-1dcab855f2bb/notes.rtf"
  • TB9 reports 150 thoughts to be parentless (TB8: 145). When added to selection, and I try to copy the selection (Copy Thoughts/Copy as Text Outline/Copy Thoughts with Notes), I get the message "Sequence contains more than one matching element"; this is reproducible.
  • TB9 closes multiple times without further info; after re-start, position and size of TB9 are reset.
The number of thoughts imported seems to be fine, in TB9, there are two new thoughts: one, a mysterious copy of a TB8-thought without any links; the other one a technical one from TB9, "Orphaned Attachments". There's only one file, a PDF attached, which was detached from it's original thought during import.

The number of tags, thought types, link types, external  file attachments, URL attachments are identical (small) in TB8 and TB9.

During an import test yesterday, I found one thought with a duplicate attachment, want to say, in TB8, the appr. thought had one file attached, e.g. "12345678.pdf"; in TB9, the imported thought had two attached files, both named "12345678.pdf". Unfortunately, I could not reproduce this finding today.

Another mysterious finding, now back in TB8, was, that there was a link from one thought to my home thought. When the home thought was the active thought, this relation was not visible; only, when the thought in question was the active thought, I could see the relation to the home thought. I'm absolutely sure that I did not define a one-way link, because I do not use one-way links at all; and, after some seconds, the relation was removed from the display (TB8 was not the active app at that moment). When TB8 was actived, the link in question was re-displayed.

Kriggel23

pthompson
Kriggel23,

TheBrain 8 database is completely different than TheBrain 9 database so the statistics are not going to match exactly. With that said, if you wouldn't mind sharing the Brain in question with us, we can have our engineers take a closer look into the issue you're describing. Thanks.
Kriggel23
Patrick,

sorry, this particular brain is too big, and, furthermore, private.

Do we have any function/logic to verify the TB8 brain? Maybe the reason for the missing notes / attachments after import in TB9 can be found in the TB8 database (see the disappearing / reappearing link mentioned)? Some sort of data corruption?

Or any further log information, e.g.  why  something could not be copied, not only,  that  it didn't take place?

Kriggel23

mcaton
Christain,

Thank you again for the detailed report and import testing.  TheBrain 8 ignored several different types of errors in the database.  V9 is significantly smarter than V8 and does not ignore these same errors, either fixing or removing them during the import process.  I would say that your V9 reports are more accurate than the reports/statistics in V8.  The import process is still under development, so there obviously may be more to review here.

Again, it would certainly be helpful for us to review a copy of your V8 Brain.  Is there any way it could be sterilized (make a copy and delete confidential data) for our in house testing?

We have a secure upload site where a zip of this Brain could be delivered. Please send a note to support@thebrain.com if you think this could be possible.

Thank you,
Matt
Kriggel23
Matt, Patrick,

I had another look into the import log, and the brains (TB8, TB9) in question. Here some more details:

The brain in question is an ancient one, started around 2007 with PersonalBrain 2.0.1. It has been migrated along the upgrade-path up to version 8.0.2.2 of TheBrain.
Attached you will find a - small - excerpt of the file Output.log, created by TB9 (V9.0.94.0) during import.

I checked especially the errors, looked for the thoughts / files / notes mentioned, checked my backups. My findings are:
The messages "Could not find file ..." concern notes and files. As for notes, the file "Notes.rtf" seems to be expected, but not present. Sample: the TB8-thought has some notes, but no file Notes.rtf; the TB9-thought got neither (... but not at any rate ...). For other files (attachments), I myself seem to be the person responsible, because I changed (renamed, deleted, moved) the files in question over the time within the thought folder via Finder (I'm using Apple OS X, 10.11.5).
My conclusion is, that there must be some kind of path-information within the database of TB8, which does NOT match exactly with the path/tree on the OS. The miracle is, that even if the TB8-data contains this - wrong - path/file, the attachment tab in TB8 seems to display the - correct - path/file from the OS, but does not verify or correct the path information on the database ...? And the TB9-importer "relates on" the TB8-database...?

As for the duplicate attachment - I found the two thoughts. In TB8, there was one attachment, which was attached twice in TB9 to the corresponding thought. You will find the appropriate messages within the excerpt as well.
TB9:Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-22 um 08.43.02.png  TB8:Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-22 um 11.42.34.png 

Kriggel23

mcaton
Christian,

Thanks for the additional info.  I've got some old v2 Brains myself and I'll attempt to re-create your scenario for further testing.

Thank you,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software