Spacenexus Show full post »
mcaton
Jim,

Just upgraded to Java Version 8 Update 221 and TheBrain 8 is running fine. Also, regarding the discussion on a possible fix to the long file names and/or file paths, the discussed possible solution is hypothetical and not a fix that is in active development at this point.  I just wanted to be clear about that 🙂

Thanks,
Matt
metta
@Spacenexus ~ 

Thank you so much, Jim, for your thoughtful and very helpful update!! ÃƒÆ’ƒÂ°Ã…¸â„¢Å’

I am extremely encouraged, too, by the prospect of this short link solution, and I will definitely look forward to future updates on the chosen path forward.

In the meantime, I am also extremely grateful for the heads up about the potential risk of future Java updates. Will very much be looking forward to TheBrain team's answer to your question:
> Will the latest JRE be compatible with TB8?

This is especially important to me since, after testing v11, I am strongly inclined not to import my v8 megabrain into v11, for a variety of reasons:
  • Since the markdown tables are relatively simple (and not fully functional), it looks like there are going to be some significant display and table management issues when v8 tables are imported into v11.
  • It also looks like all the color formatting in my v8 notes (both font formatting and background highlights) is going to be lost if I import my v8 megabrain in v11.
  • In addition, importing my almost 17GB megabrain into v11 will consume over half of my 30G space allocation on the new server -- and, since no decision has been made yet about the possibility of increasing our storage space to 1TB, I'm not sure I want my megabrain to restrict my server resources so significantly.
  • Since there are also a number of other bugs and missing features in v11 that are going to take time to resolve; and since type, tag and attachment management are all much easier in v8; I will probably wait until v11 (or even v12) is mature before trying to migrate my megabrain, assuming I can keep my megabrain up and running in v8.
This means the Java compatibility question is extremely important now. In light of this I would love to take advantage of your kind offer to share a backup of JRE v8.151. I will message you privately to arrange transfer details. Thanks so much! ÃƒÆ’ƒÂ°Ã…¸ËœÂ
metta
Just now saw Matt's update, so I'm glad to know we're good to go with the current Java update. ðŸ™‚
Spacenexus
Thanks Metta, I'm in line with your position too as the v8 functionality is so comprehensive and refined it doesn't cease to amaze. I use tags and thought types extensively with reports for complex manipulation in my brains and that kind of control needs to be available in upstream versions.

Thanks Matt for checking in on latest runtime. Will await update on v11 or v12 fix as and when it transpires.

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
metta
@Spacenexus ~

Agree with you completely, Jim, about the "comprehensive and refined" functionality in v8. TheBrain 8 is so robust and versatile: it sets a very high standard in terms of both features and performance.
Spacenexus
@mcaton  upon reflection I would ask that you escalate the fix for the long path filenames conversion issue for v8 users. Even if this only affects a handful of users, by inference, these are users who rely on the v8 dataset extensively. From my side it is critical and a failure to provide a fix as soon as practical does not make sense. I understand there are other stability and improvement issues to be built into v11, but as soon as it is stable it would be prudent to have this issue addressed so that we can upgrade and be comfortable that we are not risking a failure of v8 should a Java update become incompatible. Please address it before it escalates into a critical data loss for numerous users. 

It seems otherwise an odd policy to leave these users behind.

Many thanks as always!

Jim
@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
metta
@Spacenexus & @mcaton ~

I agree completely with Jim in light of the fact that one user has already reported not being able to access their installation of TheBrain 8 because of Java-related issues.

This is not a good situation for any of us who are using v8, and who might be impacted by this 150-character limit during import.

Your prompt attention to this issue will be genuinely appreciated.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software