stormwolf0
Hi,

Please, need urgent help with this issue!

After some sudden shutdowns, when opening specifc brains Personal Brain displays a message (message 1) asking for update the brain database to be able open it. I select OK. A similar message (message 2) asking for update is displayed. I select OK again. Nothing happens for hours and Personal Brain keeps on the screen that displays recently opened brains. At this point, if i click to open that brain, a message says that brain is already opened. If i close Personal Brain, the process in windows task manager is not closed (ckecked also after hours, had to kill it manually).

The issue ocurred with two brains in few weeks! Lost access to most of my stuff!

At the first time, my external disk became unrecognisable to Windows. I've used the utility CHKDSK /F and achieved restoring the disk access. Files that were tested opened ok. But found the issue when opening the brain.

Some notes:

- Both brains were created with Personal Brain 6.x, one of them probably with version 6.0.6.4 and the other brain surely with version 6.0.7.1.

- I run both brains from a external hd;

- I run Personal Brain from local disk;

- I use to hibernate / suspend system with with opened brains (this may cause any problems?);

- Messages and screen are on the file attached;

- I noted that there are many files containing log errors at the brain's folder.

Current system config:
Personal Brain 6.0.7.1
Java 1.6.0 Update 26
Windows 7 Home 64 bits

Thanks in advance,
Wolf

stormwolf0
File attached .
Moe
Hi Wolf, 

Thank You for posting the screenshots. Sorry to hear that you have run into an issue with your Brain.

"After some sudden shutdowns, my computer restarted and Personal Brain displays a message (message 1) asking for update the brain database to be able open it."

What were the sudden shutdowns caused by (OS related problems, hardware problems etc...)?

"The issue ocurred with two brains in few weeks!"

Was the sudden shutdown you experienced a few weeks ago caused by the same issue as that of your most recent shutdown?

"At the first time, my external disk became unrecognisable by Windows"

Sounds like something is going wrong with your external hard disk. I see that you have run checkdisk to find and repair files on your external hard disk. Running checkdisk may find and repair problems at a given point in time, but if there are problems with your external hard disk you may find yourself back at square one (attempting to repair your files etc..)

At this point, we would like you to try the following:

1. Close PB if open.

2. Create a backup of your Brain by making a copy of your .brain file and _brain folder. 

3. Copy your Brain (.brain file and _brain folder) off your external hard disk into a folder on your local hard disk.

4. Open your _brain folder from your local hard disk then delete the folder "brain_db".

5. Re-open PB then open your Brain from your local hard disk. 

The procedure detailed above forces PB to rebuild your Brain database from its backup, if the backup has not been affected from your sudden shutdowns, you may be able to get your Brain back open. 

Please keep us informed with the results.

Thanks,
Moe
stormwolf0
Moe,

Thank you for your fast and responsive support! Both brains are now recovered! Great!

Now, answering to your questions (after which i'll post a more few questions):

Quote:
Moe
Today at 04:54 PM

Quote:

What were the sudden shutdowns caused by (OS related problems, hardware problems etc...)?

It was caused by power failure (which, at the first time affected both computer and external hd, and at the second time affected only computer)

Quote:
Was the sudden shutdown you experienced a few weeks ago caused by the same issue as that of your most recent shutdown?

Yes, explained above.

Quote:

Sounds like something is going wrong with your external hard disk. I see that you have run checkdisk to find and repair files on your external hard disk. Running checkdisk may find and repair problems at a given point in time, but if there are problems with your external hard disk you may find yourself back at square one (attempting to repair your files etc..)

Yes, i'll check the disk's health. Perhaps the power failure could have caused the disk to became unrecognisable, what do you think?

Quote:

At this point, we would like you to try the following:

1. Close PB if open.

2. Create a backup of your Brain by making a copy of your .brain file and _brain folder. 

3. Copy your Brain (.brain file and _brain folder) off your external hard disk into a folder on your local hard disk.

4. Open your _brain folder from your local hard disk then delete the folder "brain_db".

5. Re-open PB then open your Brain from your local hard disk. 

The procedure detailed above forces PB to rebuild your Brain database from its backup, if the backup has not been affected from your sudden shutdowns, you may be able to get your Brain back open. 

Procedure executed as indicated and worked very well, thanks!!!

Also, i'm now keeping the computer and the external disk plugged to a no-break to avoid power failures.

Now, a few more questions:

- Is useful to do a database rebuild (with the software's utility)? In any case a database rebuild offer some danger?

- These two brains naturally tends to naturally be merged in one, as the second brain was a workaround for the unavailability of the first one.

To avoid any corruption risk/issue would be useful to do a merge from the brains to a new one? Is there any disadvantage by doing so? The thought`s history or any data are lost when merging?

- I use to hibernate / suspend system with with opened brains. This may cause any problems? I am considering about not doing this anymore if more secure...

- Tips to avoid data corruption?

- This issue have raised for me the priority of estabilishing backup policies for my brain databases. It was at lower priority because i knew something about the automatic backups made by the software, as well i was (still am) more focused and engaged with brain's information structuring questions (i`m building for me something like a personal life management system based on Personal Brain, soon i'll post about this).

But when very near to the crash, we become more careful and concerned  about backups, security and so on...

Would you sugest any backup tips additionally to the automatic made by Personal Brain or this is enough for safety (like been at this time)?

Thanks for your attention!

Regards,
Wolf

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software