NO updates
NO betas
NO forum news
NO BRAIN ???

what's up ?

cheers
enkidu
L1nda
Starting to wonder about this myself. Very Concerning. 

I'm fervently hoping it's a temporary problem with all the resources being put into tablet apps - a bit like Omnifocus who had an "Ipad or Bust" strategy and as soon as they released an ipad version the standard product seems to have become a focus again. My hoping only goes so far though and it's worth noting I only started using Omnifocus because I lost trust in the brain and can't even access webbrain from my ios device. 

I still use the brain and I want it to be the cornerstone in my workflow but I have a lot of doubts about it going forward because of the stagnation, lack of bug fixes and meaningful communication; and also because of a general sense of unease I get whenever I spend any significant time setting things up (adding links and notes etc etc) in the brain because of this underlying feeling that it may be a waste of time - put simply, I've lost trust in the brain and it's development going forward. I haven't jumped ship but I have looked elsewhere. And I find myself hedging my bets for example, whenever I write notes I copy and paste them into a text file attachment so if I do move somewhere else (and even to a normal hierarchical file structure - which is becoming appealing just out of the certainty it provides) I at least won't lose all (just most) of the time and effort I've put into the brain. 

The brain has to be the most infuriating product because of it's (thus far) unfulfilled potential and promise. 
pthompson
Linda explained it best. We are putting most of our focus into TheBrain iOS and Android versions, while working on TheBrain application itself and Cloud Services, which is why updates have slowed down a bit.
heatingwestlondon
Thank you for that news pthompson. I've been also looking news of TB on ios.
enkidu
Thanks for the reassuring comments, mr Thompson.

I can't come up with a proverb about patience, so I'll just be patient.

Cheers
enkidu
parsec

“Do you have the patience to wait until your mud settles and the water is clear?”

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
on the brain since 1.3
Pinky
What is the explanation for NOT keeping the user community informed?

I understand the no updates, but the silence is overwhelming.

The video sessions are mostly retreads.

------
Pinky (and The Brain 7.0.4.5)
zenrain
Quote:
What is the explanation for NOT keeping the user community informed?

I understand the no updates, but the silence is overwhelming.

Click on the pthompson link by his post to go to the user page. Then view all posts by this user. 

Every month he has made some sort of comment regarding releases or fixes. Granted, they are not what people really want (a release date and release specifics), but in summary they amount to "We don't post release dates, but we are working on a mobile/desktop release".

Specifically on dates (aside from today's post):
12/20
11/19
10/24
9/25

I didn't go back further than that. It's not that they are being silent, it's that we have a short memory and they don't announce releases before they are ready. It's been that way for as long as I can remember, this isn't a new policy. 

Case in point, Harlan tweeted that a mobile release would be coming "soon" 289'ish days ago. Obviously they ran into issues that caused a significant delay.
There is only one thing that forum members/customers hate more than too little communication, and that's broken promises. Since it's all too easy to underestimate the time it takes to finish, its far better to keep silent about a release date than break expectations.

In short, read parsec's post, and remember to breathe.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 10.0.54
magnus
pthompson wrote:
Linda explained it best. We are putting most of our focus into TheBrain iOS and Android versions, while working on TheBrain application itself and Cloud Services, which is why updates have slowed down a bit.

What about the Windows 8 app?
GerSch
@pthomson: How many developers are working for TheBrain?
gpatten
What possible use could anyone make of this information, apart from to complain about it? Either the team is big, in which case someone will doubtless complain that they are obviously just sitting around doing nothing, or the team is too small, in which case someone will complain that TB is clearly not investing sufficiently in development. I can't see any constructive reason to want to know this—and I certainly don't see anyone posting it here any time soon.

In general: I think we have to leave TB to work on their product the way they want to. If we don't find that it is meeting our needs, we go somewhere else. Or we rethink those needs. Either (or both) of those would be a constructive step to solving the perceived problem. Whinging about it on the forums is not.
roblumba

I work at Synopsys, an Engineering Design Automation (EDA) company. I also used to be a customer of Synopsys when I worked at Toshiba. One of the practices we do, that customers in general like, is a roadmap. What features can we expect in the tools in the future. Sure, it may take longer than expected, and features may get pushed to later releases, but at least we will know what features and capabilities are in the pipe-line. This encourages customers to stay put, be patient and feel confident that their future needs are currently being worked on.

This sort of information is sometimes not publicly displayed on the website for competition to study, but can often be revealed to customers under NDA at special events or on-site visits for a one-time viewing. Perhaps this sort of thing does not fit the consumer software world. In EDA, we are dealing with very expensive tools developing chips that end up in your favorite electronic device! And the expectations are high that we present roadmaps and cast vision for the future. So the stakes are high. Nevertheless, some sort of mechanism to show loyal customers a roadmap of features would be very much appreciate.

Spacenexus
Development roadmaps and releases are also not trivial issues when trying to manage customer satisfaction. On more than one occassion I've seen posts on the forum suggesting that beta program releases were too frequent and required greater internal testing before release. These feedbacks were for incremental desktop client developments.

Now, it has been confirmed by the team that the mobile clients are being developed. This is a completely new platform type with two operating systems, engineering a complex architecture of information management whilst ensuring a high quality of user satisfaction meeting needs and maintaining parity with 15 years of prior user experience.

If the developers released the product without critical capability just to satisfy our joy of novelty (myself as guilty as anyone!) some indignant complaints would have emerged but more importantly, the impact of less than satisfactory first user experience would have been tainted. As the mobile platforms directly open TheBrain to orders of magnitude new customers, this is a process that has to be managed with the utmost care. In my view, they're getting it right. Focussing on the key development process rather than satisfying our salivating chops with premature updates. This is no mere update but a major strategic development for the knowledge ecosystem we love.

I recommend we excercise restraint, patience and support for the intense work that is going on rght now. The longer they take to get it right, the better it is for the product, the community and the future developments of TheBrain.

In the meantime, anyone looking to expand their Braining and make a vocation of it can apply to join the Stellarbrain global Brain consulting thinktank as an associate (http://forums.thebrain.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1277192768&postcount=4).

Best

Jim

@181218:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
Pinky
Too Quiet...

For a product that is "used by 50% of the Fortune 100", "downloaded over a million times", and "used by 500,000 users" as recently noted by TheBrain.

Where is the forum activity?

Are there active users out there?

-------
Pinky (and TheBrain 7.0.4.5)
zenrain
I don't have the answers, but I may venture a guess that the weekly 101 and other Webinars would have an impact on the activity here. If you can attend a webinar and have questions answered by the folks at TheBrain directly it may reduce the need to come out and visit the forums. Plus things tend to die down when there hasn't been a release for a while. 
Except of course for the "When is X release or X feature going to be implemented? ANSWER ME RIGHT NAO!!!" posts.

Of course, it could also be that no-one uses it anymore.
Or our fellow forum members are so darned helpful and quick to respond that no-one has an more questions.
Yup, that's definitely it....
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 10.0.54

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software