lvshuler
For me, the Brain 8 Beta was a major disaster that rendered my Brains unusable. It looked okay after the initial install, but then so many things went wrong, I wasn't sure what topic to include this post under, so I created a new one.

A few symptoms:
  • TheBrain seemed to freeze on occasion. Clicks on thoughts were unresponsive. 
  • Upon reopening, the thought icons looked like they were trying to load FOREVER with a clock hand spinning endlessly.
  • At times, the "Thought" tab was visible only when I hovered over a thought, but would disappear when I clicked on the thought, in which case the Links tab was visible. 
  • I could drag URLs and files into the Plex, but I couldn't create new thoughts from within. The 'Create' button next to the Search window was unresponsive, and there was no thought gates for me to drag to create new child, jump, or parent thoughts, nor could I re-size the circle by dragging--although that option is selected in preferences.
  • I reinstalled Beta 8, but no change.
  • I ended up surrendering and uninstalling Beta 8 and reinstalling version 7 so I could get stuff done. I'll try a future 8 beta version when I have more time and not so many things to do in TheBrain. 
  • Nevertheless, I still look forward to TheBrain 8!
I forgot to add Configuration info:
  • Windows 8 64-bit
  • Core i7
  • 8 GB Ram

mcaton
Thank you for posting and sorry to hear that you had trouble with the Beta.  Did you install the 32 or 64 bit version of TheBrain?  When you have a moment - can you install the OTHER version that was not previously installed.  Please let us know how it goes.  This would give us some groundwork for a testing scenario in an effort to replicate these issues.

Thank you,
Matt Caton
lvshuler
Sorry for my delay in replying. I was trying to "download missing web icons" in Brain 7 since that functionality has apparently been removed in TheBrain 8 (previous post) before reinstalling 8 Beta. For whatever reason, that action was only partially successful after several attempts. But that's another issue.

I've just (today) installed the 64-bit version of TheBrain, and, so far, it seems to work okay (actually NOT--see UPDATE below) --except for the fact that I can no longer drag and drop from my 32-bit version of Outlook 2013--which is a VERY IMPORTANT functionality for me. I originally downloaded the 32-bit version of TheBrain because the website states that it would run on both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows. To be certain, before I installed the 64-bit version, I re-installed the 32-bit version (Beta 8.0.0.2) to confirm dysfunctionality. As with Beta 8.0.0.1, it seemed to work fine at first, but after clicking on a few thoughts, it went haywire (e.g., clock-hand spinning as though icons are loading forever) as previously described. If my understanding is correct, there's no way to drag and drop between a TheBrain 64-bit and Outlook 32-bit. Correct? If there's a workaround, please advise. Otherwise, I will explore options for obtaining a 64-bit version of Outlook.

UPDATE: I guess I didn't give it enough time. After dragging a URL into the plex, the thoughts (all of them) became unresponsive (i.e., clicking on the though does not activate it) and that spinning clock-hand reappeared on some thoughts. Although the thoughts were unresponsive to clicking, the menus were still accessible. I exited the brain and then reopened it. I could briefly click on thoughts to activate them, but then all of them froze up again with the white clock-hand (now stationary) appearing in place of most thought icons.  Currently, I'm unable to do anything in the TheBrain 8 beta. I'll let it sit for a while and check back after my workout. I'll report back later.

Thank you for your assistance,
LaVerne Shuler
BHurd
So I had exactly the same problem with 8 as described here.  However, I installed the 64 bit version over the top and got a message that the search index was not complete.  I allowed it to continue (though it went to 530 of 2300+ thoughts and then managed to index only 1 thought every 10 minutes....I will be leaving it overnite!) and it seemed to be working quite well.  Snappy performance and things doing as expected.  However, some of the program icons weren't showing up (adobe files for instance).  We shall see what it is like tomorrow..
lvshuler
Thanks BHurd. Perhaps that's it; I need to wait a long long time, since I have over 21,000 thoughts in my Brain. I look forward to see how things turn out for you by tomorrow. After 4 hours, my Brain 8 Beta (64-bit) is still frozen and unusable. I'll report a status update tomorrow evening or Sunday.

LaVerne
lhkosloff
Hello LaVerne and BHurd,

I am wondering if either of you have any updates to this thread -- have you continued to see these issues with Brain 8?

I installed Brain 8 just a couple of days ago and I am seeing all of the issues you mentioned in this thread.  Have tried uninstalling and re-installing, hasn't worked. So trying to see what else to try.

I've played around in Brain 8 in a large brain (18,000+ thoughts) and in a smaller brain, no difference.

thank you,
Laura Kosloff

using:  Brain 8.0.0.4, J-1.7.0_40
Windows 7, 64-bit
lvshuler
Laura,

I don't have a final answer yet, but I do have an update: 

1. I did not have any sustainable success after installing the 64-bit 8-beta and waiting patiently as BHurd did. However, after letting the indexing run all night, I encountered a completely whited-out plex. It was quite bizarre, but I'll spare you the gory details and cut to the chase: I surrendered! I uninstalled the 64-bit beta, and reinstalled TheBrain 7 so I can get work done. 
  2. Since they have officially released version 8, I've decided to give it another go: 
  • After installing the 32-bit version again (since I need drag-drop functionality with my 32-bit Outlook on my 64-bit Windows 8 system), I opened my 20,000+ brain and encountered a blank plex, although the utilities report shows 21,000+ thoughts.
  • I didn't surrender right away. Instead I switched over to my smaller (6,100+ thoughts) where I got the indexing message. After letting it run all evening long, the initial thought indexing is complete and the web urls are still being indexed (about 52% complete so far after running all morning until now).
  • I'm simply letting it complete all the indexing before using it. If it's successful on the smaller brain, then at least I know it works. Then I will simply have to allow about 5-6 full days for the indexing process to complete on my 21,000+ brain before attempting to use it. Well, first things first. I'll try to report back this evening after the indexing is fully completed on the smaller brain. If the problems persist, I'll contact tech support directly and let you know.
Sorry that I don't have better or more definitive news. I'm very busy and don't have a lot of time to troubleshoot software. However, I've been using Personal Brain since 2009 (version 4). Therefore, I'm fully invested in TheBrain and highly motivated to use the latest versions. That said, version 8 is the only version that has misbehaved so badly.

LaVerne
lhkosloff
LaVerne,
Here is my own update....

1.  I encountered the completely whited out plex, too, among my various "playing around" to see what Brain 8 would/would not do. Not in response to indexing, but during a "let's see what happens when I search for a thought I know exists."  Moment of panic. Exited Brain, went back in and all looked fine.

2. Per the request of Matt from Brain support, I sent him a couple of output log files yesterday after errors occurred in Brain 8.  Here is his response from just a short while ago today: 

"Our engineers have found the cause of the problem, but we have not yet found a solution. We hope to have a new build available soon that will resolve this problem."

Like you, I'm back to Brain 7 for now since I can't get much work done with the software freezing every few minutes.  Hopefully "soon" is soon.  My husband and I, too, have used Brain since 2009 and I do not recall having had such massive problems in the past with an update.

best wishes,
Laura

rengel
Do you really need the 'Index URL attachments' and 'Index File attachments' functionality?

With my brain (63.000+ thoughts), I've deactivated both these indices and so far didn't encounter any problems. The instant activation index for the thought names still works.
Because URLs and filenames saved from the Internet often contain special characters, I suspect that these can cause problems with the indices.  That's whay I disabled them.

But of course, this depends on how detailed you want/must search within your attachments/documents.

Problems with dragging URLs into TheBrain might be related to another problem that I reported some days ago (http://forums.thebrain.com/post/importing-link-files-is-broken-6632708). As a temporary workaround, you might try copying and pasting the URL instead.

Reinhard, TB 11.0.98.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
mctrexler
Reinhard, if you turn off those two indexing functions, does TB index attachments at all?   I hardly every use the search function for attachments, so I'm tempted to turn it off as well in my large Brains (6,000 and 10,000 attachments), but am wondering if there's anything other downside to it.

Thanks,

Mark

TB 8.0.0.4
win7-64
J-.045
rengel
Well, I've never missed the functionality, because I find my attachments by their titles (which are the thought names, of course). In my brain I mentioned, I'm using all kinds of attachments (altogether around 35.000): downloaded webpages, PDFs, Art Pictures, E-Books, Software Files, videos, etc. But then, I never search within the attachments (never needed to). Should this need ever arise, I wouldn't use TheBrain but some external tool like Agent Ransack (http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/). I deactivated these brain indices, because reindexing simply took too long.

I guess, it wouldn't hurt if you just try it out. You can also recactivate them and have TheBrain reindex your data (File|Utilities). If this runs overnight you even won't loose much time.
Reinhard, TB 11.0.98.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
mctrexler
Thanks.  Very similar to our own thinking, and good tip re the external program.  In awe of your attachments, I thought 10,000 was a lot.

:-)

Mark
BHurd
My problems have not gone away.  I downloaded the release version of 8 and had to uninstall java and old version of 7, reinstall everything.

Version 8 is showing the little icon "clocks" (spinning indicators where the thought icon should be).  I don't have any network UrL's in my brain so they should all be local.  The plex will work for awhile then it will randomly lock up. 

I guess I am going back to 7 for awhile until they figure out the fix.

UPDATE:  If I close and reopen my brain the plex will work UNTIL I hover over one of those thoughts that have the little active ''clock" and then it freezes up tight. Just a note in case The Brain folks are reading....
mcaton
Thanks for all the information.  We're closely monitoring this issue and our engineers are working on solution.  

This issue only occurred for a small number of users, but with a few recent output.log files that we received (Thank you Laura and Darren!!!) , we were able to make some progress in our research.  

We'll keep you updated with our repair progress.

Thank you!
Matt
lvshuler
Thanks for the update, BHurd. Your experience and actions EXACTLY match mine. I too am back to version 7 and look forward to a speedy resolution, which will hopefully include the 32-bit version of TheBrain 8.

For the sake of closure, the previous discussion detour on thought and url indexing seems unrelated to this issue. I was simply exploring to see whether it was a factor. It wasn't.

LaVerne

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software