pshanks

My Brain is just idling and doing nothing, but I'm seeing the output.log generating one of these every second or so...

What is it doing?

03:34:15.6170 | INFO  | TheBrain.Graphics.Stage | [162] P=0, PPF=0   CU=0, CIR=0, TXT=0, REC=0, PTH=0, IMG=0      Actual FPS: 35.4. Theoretical FPS: 159.3. Avg Drawing Time: 6.3

TheBrain 11.0.120.0, iOS V10.0.
Windows 10 (V19041), Windows 7 SP1, OS X V10.15.x
Using The Brain since V3 (1999)

mcaton
Pat, 

Thank you for sharing.  I'll pass this on to our engineers for further review.

Thank you,
Matt
jupdike
The log messages you are seeing are for debugging purposes and have been removed for future releases.

TheBrain 9 as designed is supposed to return to a low CPU state (within a few seconds -- there is a delay before becoming idle) when the mouse cursor is outside TheBrain window or when another application is on top. The CPU usage jumps back up when you are using TheBrain 9 (or just move the mouse inside the Plex window) because we have created new animations for highlighting and interacting with objects, such as fading and animating outlines on thoughts, links and gates.

If you have the Task Manager open (on Mac = Activity Monitor) and you can see the CPU usage (on the Processes tab) and you are not interacting (or mouse hovering) with any brains via the Plex, you should see fairly low numbers for TheBrain.exe (< 10% or low teens). If you think TheBrain is using significantly more % CPU when idle (as described above) then please let us know, with a description of your computer's capabilities and a rough idea of how many thoughts you are looking at, how many brain tabs/windows you have open, etc.

Other than that the log messages are unimportant and can be ignored (and will be going away).
Jared Updike
TheBrain Technologies
Engineering Team
pshanks

I just had the Brain 9.0.78.0 just sitting in my task bar over night, so there was no mouse movement or any interacting with this Brain.

This Brian is small and only has 20 thoughts but as you can see the CPU time is very high compared to a Brain 8 that is open with over 90k thoughts.

I've attached screen shots of my Task Manager showing both Brain 8 & 9 running, along with my System Rating.

I know that we are only in a preview of the software, but thought I would raise this issue.

Thanks,
~ Pat

Brain_01.png  Brain_02.png 

TheBrain 11.0.120.0, iOS V10.0.
Windows 10 (V19041), Windows 7 SP1, OS X V10.15.x
Using The Brain since V3 (1999)

Harlan
Hi Pat,

Thanks for the detailed screenshots. We will be optimizing the background processing further as we progress. It is helpful to see how it is functioning "out in the wild".
Regards,
-Harlan
jbaty
I've imported 2 of my existing brains. The first has around 10,000 thoughts and the second has closer to 5000. 

When I have Brain 1 frontmost it uses a reported 100+% of CPU. CPU usage does not drop when TheBrain is in the background. If I open Brain 2 TheBrain runs at between 10% and 15% CPU usage. If both brains are open in different tabs, switching to Brain 1 pegs the CPU and switching to Brain 2 settles it down again. It does not seem to matter how many thoughts are visible in the Plex. Feels brain-specific to me but not sure where to look for a cause.

I'm on a 2013 MacBook Air (i7) with 8GB RAM

v9.0.80.0
pthompson
Thanks for the additional information. We'll share this with our engineers as we continue to test this.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software