mattgyverlee Show full post »
mcaton
Thanks for posting. I'll document this as a feature request to bring back the BrainBox ability to open in it's own tab.

Thank you,
Matt
mattgyverlee
@mcaton 
I think you misunderstood a bit, the first bug report is the sudden removal of access to Brainbox as a tab introduced in #6787 without providing a better workflow. The second bug report is searching getting cancelled in Brainbox. The feature request (and end goal) is for the dockable brainbox to improve usability of the Brainbox. 

Yes, it would be nice to have the BB tab back eventually, but if we have to choose a priority, I'd prefer that they spend time working on fixing the Brainbox search bug, and then work on docking BB instead of reinstating the tab. Hopefully that is less complex.
~Matthew
mcaton
Thanks for clarifying. I've verified that the Search issue is documented (#5533) for further review.

Matt
peterB
Good news, multiple BrainBox issues in this thread have now been addressed in our latest build. The BrainBox can again be opened in it's own tab. You will now find this option by clicking first on the BrainBox icon on the top right of the window, and then within the BrainBox dropdown, click the triple bar icon for the option to open BrainBox in a new tab.

Additionally, the search filter is now persistent, and will not be cleared every time you add an item to a brain from Brainbox.

Version 11.0.102 is now available on the Alpha Channel. The Alpha channel contains frequent updates and provides access to the very latest versions. It is the recommended channel if you have an urgent need for a fix that is not yet available on the Stable channel and do not mind frequent updates.

To get the Alpha channel update:
Windows: Go to Options > Preferences > System > Update channel, and select "Alpha" from the dropdown menu. Then go to Help > Check for Update, and install the update.
macOS: Go to TheBrain > Preferences > System > Update channel and select "Alpha" from the dropdown menu. Then go to TheBrain > Check for Update, and install the update.

Best wishes,
-Peter
joshsullivan
So this works as a new tab.

When I then click "Move tab to new Window" TheBrain crashes immediately. Most recent crash report id: 786580e1-b561-4418-a6d1-07a99370e9f0

Interestingly, if I open a new tab then open Brainbox in a tab, then Move tab to new window, it crashes TheBrain completely (closing it an all), but when re-opening TheBrain, my brain opens in one window and Brainbox in another, so it's possible to get this working in separate windows, but a hard crash is involved.
TheBrain 11 Alpha Channel
Windows 10 2004 Enterprise
mcaton
'Move tab to a new Window' error replicated.  Thank you for posting!

Matt
mattgyverlee
peterB wrote:

Additionally, the search filter is now persistent, and will not be cleared every time you add an item to a brain from Brainbox.

@peterB I haven't encountered you on the forum before. Welcome to the forums and TB, i guess! Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU folks for fixing the search persistence when bulk adding!

I'm still hoping for a dockable Brainbox so that navigation/searching in the plex doesn't reset/obscure BrainBox, but this new fix alone might save me an hour a week.

@joshsullivan Yeah, the "move to new window" crash is not new, and I suspect the reason they had removed the button in the first place as a workaround. My old workaround of opening a new window first and loading the BrainBox still works, but now it means that you have to go the extra step of fully opening a second brain tab rather than loading it from the handy dashboard:
1. Open a second tab
2. Choose a(ny) brain
3. Move this Brain tab to a new window
3. Click BB
4. Click hamburger button
5. Click "open BB in new tab"
6. Close the extra Brain tab in your new window.
peterB
@joshsullivan @mattgyverlee

UPDATE:
Version 11.0.103 is now out on Alpha and allows for BrainBox to be moved to it's own window. Not crashing anymore. ðŸ™‚

To get the Alpha channel update:
_Windows:_ Go to Options > Preferences > System > Update channel, and select "Alpha" from the dropdown menu. Then go to Help > Check for Update, and install the update.
_macOS:_ Go to TheBrain > Preferences > System > Update channel and select "Alpha" from the dropdown menu. Then go to TheBrain > Check for Update, and install the update.

@peterB I haven't encountered you on the forum before. Welcome to the forums and TB, i guess!

Thanks! Glad to be here!
joshsullivan
👍

Thanks @peterB, working great now.
TheBrain 11 Alpha Channel
Windows 10 2004 Enterprise
mattgyverlee
Thanks @peterB ,
I can also confirm that the new window is working properly. 

In playing around with Brainbox yesterday, I ran into the "(#6904) Windows: Opening BrainBox tab causes plex to stop responding to mouse" bug yesterday on 11.0.102, but couldn't figure out what had triggered it. Restarting TheBrain didn't unlock the plex, I ended up restarting my computer.

All seems well in 11.0.103!
mcaton
Thanks everyone for the confirmation!

Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software