kbarrows
I am hoping this forum is somewhat alive.  I've looked through several threads here and they seem, for the most part, stagnant.  If anyone is interested in Google Plus and maybe starting a community hit me up at https://plus.google.com/+KeithBarrowsToday.

I have several goals that will take a year or more to complete.  I've captured a lot of my goals as thoughts and am trying to determine the best way to put in child thoughts so they make sense.  For instance, I have a goal to "finish the backyard".  This breaks down to several projects and some of the projects are dependent on other projects already having been completed.  Something like:
1) Install sprinkler system
2) Complete pond
3) Add garden beds
4) Complete pergola
etc.

So, for instance, I need to complete underground work *before* I start on above ground work.  Yet, when I look at these 4 child thoughts, #1 comes last.

Now compound this with the many steps for each project and you can see that it becomes a mess rather quickly.  Now granted, I could use an external project app and link each project into the goal thought, or child thoughts, but that still does not answer how to order the dependencies between thoughts.

Any ideas?  Or am I stuck with having to go external to the brain for these types of details?
Spacenexus
There are plenty of references to project implementation with TheBrain if you research the forum which is quite active. You can start off with this: http://www.thebrain.com/products/thebrain/get-more-done/gtd/.

Best

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
zenrain
I just tested and 1)... 2)... 3)... do show up in numerical order if you are arranging thoughts by name (right-click the plex to make sure you aren't sorting by date or something else).
Generally I use 1. instead of 1) but I think both seem to work. However, I may not be understanding the question completely.

First, if you are planning something out, I'd probably switch into expanded view and arrange things as I want them and then save the view. Here would be my process for your scenario.

I'd probably create a Garden Project parent thought. Then I'd create all of the other projects as children. It's a bit busy and I don't want to see what I can't do yet. I have two choices:
  • Keep them all as children but make the path a bit more apparent. I'd select the link between 1) Install Sprinkler System and add a label of First and maybe an arrow. Perhaps thicken it a bit.
  • I can't do 2) Complete Pond and 3) Add Garden Beds before I finish 1, so I could set 2 and 3 as children of 1 by shift-dragging the link. This will set 1 as the exclusive parent, unlinking from the Garden Project parent thought.

I'm going to choose the second one. However, I realize that I want to link a bunch of reference documents and sites as children of 1. This will make the project 2 and 3 less visible.
So, instead I make 2 a jump thought from 1 and 3 a jump thought from 2. This makes them easily accessible and keep the flow for dependencies. It also allows them to stay apart from reference material.

Finally, I want a spot where I can view all my projects. To this end I create a Type thought of "Project" and attach it to all 4. I can now activate the Project Thought and see everything I'm working on. Once I complete a project, I'll create a sub-type called "Completed" and give it a grey color and assign the completed project to that sub-type. Now it's immediately apparent what I'm working on and what I'm not.

The end product will look a little like:
Garden Project.png 
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
asexymind

my VERY personal solution, that might help you. It allows me to have two/threelevels of time/priorities that works well for how I use my brain.

I name my projects in acronyms.
example I have a business called Game Of Thriving (life coaching). I refer to the project by GOT. 

I have a type named "project" which is red. I make a thought GOT and type it "project". I pin this thought.

I have a type hierarchically under project which is called "priority" (pink)

I create thoughts GOT1, GOT2, GOT3 and type them priority

I have sub-priority (action) thought types 1 (yellow), 2 (light-yellow), 3 (peach), 4 (orange), 5 (dark-orange) (note: I use a solid black background so all these colors "pop" in my plex).

I list out all of my tasks for the project, then do a first order priority in terms of time to start.
- Everything to be done first/in the near term goes under GOT1,
- everything that comes in the second stage (later but soon) goes under GOT2,
- everything that comes much later - after a bunch of other stuff, or are "nice to haves" go under GOT3. (if it is more complex, I might add GOT4 and GOT 5 etc.)

then, I goto GOT1 and type the tasks under it according to local priorities - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 then "sort by type" in the plex.

if there are time deadlines - I put the thought in my calendar.

Now, when it comes time to work on that project, I click the pinned thought GOT, goto GOT1, and look at what is yellow for my next tasks (then light yellow for second priority tasks).

If I want to do planning on the project, I click GOT, go to outline mode, expand out 2-3 levels to see all the parts of the project - then add/delete thougts, rearrange/retype to give my future-self instructions. that IS my project planning.

In my brain - these short (acronym) thoughts are my pins. I have about 1 dozen projects at any one time, and they take up the bulk of my pins. I also organize them left to right (projects on the far left are most important, projects more towards the right are decreasingly important.

Hope this helps.

--
Mark Michael Lewis | The Profitability Coach
http://GameOfThriving.com | Mark@TheThriveCoach.com

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software