metta
Q. for TheBrain Team:
> Why are attachments now displaying by default on hover?

This strange behavior is completely unexpected, and has already been reported twice in the forum: here and here.

Please note this behavior also shows up when clicking on a link in a note to a thought that has both notes and attachments.
metta
More info is available in this earlier (and more detailed) report of this bug.
DavidGretzschel
That's interesting. A week ago, when I started redoing my brain I had this fixed notion that I should use .txt-attachments for desciribing everything.
And got really frustrated, that whenever I revisited a Thought, it would show me the empty "notes" instead of the .txt I was working on.
Now it's the reverse.
I think it should always show that what was viewed last.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

metta
@DavidGretzschel ~

Sounds like a good preference setting feature request.

I, personally, prefer the way TB11 used to work:
> View defaults to the notes when the notes contain text.
> View defaults to the first attachment when the notes are empty.
DavidGretzschel
Ah, a couple versions ago, that was very much not the described behaviour either.
So they broke the behaviour twice it seems. Fascinating.
What you describe doesn't sound so bad.
I could live with that even without a preference setting.
Would have made my working with text-documents a lot less frustrating, since it wouldn't have jumped to the empty notes all the time.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

--
---
---

metta
@DavidGretzschel ~

Thank you, David, for sharing this additional feedback.

I suspect the unexpected attachment display we are seeing now might be an unintended consequence of a new feature that was introduced in TB11.0.36:
(#5969) Auto select first attachment when opening list of attachments

Of course, I don't know this for a fact, but I can imagine these 2 situations might be connected. Will be interested to see if TheBrain team can confirm this connection.

In the meantime, David, I'm curious: why have you decided to work with attached .txt files instead of notes?

Since attachments always consume part of our storage allocation in TheBrain web client, I'm wondering if you might run into some consequences of this decision further on down the road if you sync your brain -- and if you use lots and lots of .txt files in the years ahead....(Admittedly, .txt files are usually pretty small....but everything does eventually begin to add up.)
DavidGretzschel

I'm frustrated that I can store all my Attachments in my OneDrive, except for notes.
Notes are fundamentally not different from Attachments. That's espcecially obvious now, that one can get additional notes, which are identical,
except that they are .md-files. I'd ideally want to set a default path, that stores all my Thought-notes in OneDrive.

Not for any practical reason per se, just that this split feels very inconsistent.
And there might be problems with that, I'll only be able to think of in a year.

I did abondon that approach, simply because it was too much work and I missed the markdown-features.

--
---
---

metta
@DavidGretzschel ~

Just wondering: if you create secondary notes in TheBrain (or in another Markdown editor), is there any chance they could be stored in OneDrive and then linked back into TheBrain?
DavidGretzschel
In another Markdown editor you'd just create a file and link it to the Thought you like.
When you create a secondary .txt or .md-note you're just creating a file inside the TheBrain-folder structure.
You can click on the hamburger-tab and select "show in file explorer.

If you wanted to you could also create a note from within the Brain outside of it's own structure (so for example on the OneDrive) and immediately link with it. A bit convoluted, but it's a fairly simple script. That shall be the method to use, to ignore all the default-notes.
[thanks for giving me the idea just now]

"create .md in Brain out of the Brain and thenk link" script-idea:
MettaAnswer.png
 Here you can see what Attachment storage looks like:MettaAnswer0.png files that are copied/moved to or created within TB will show as "internal" if there's no preview or you have the list-setting shown.MettaAnswer05.png 

--
---
---

DavidGretzschel
Before I'm getting rid of all my default-notes and transferring them to secondary notes, I'll be waiting for a fix to the default-Attachment-view setting in this thread. Or the behavior settling on something predictable at least. If it always shows the empty "Notes" first in the next version, then I'd have to switch it again.

--
---
---

metta
@DavidGretzschel ~

Sounds like a plan! Glad if idea of using attached Markdown files was helpful. Hope the new script/set-up will work as planned.

In the meantime, I'll be looking forward to a fix on the default attachment display problem, too.
mcaton
Version 11.0.38 was just released that addresses the issue of Notes having focus when there are multiple attachments.

Thank you,
Matt
metta
@mcaton ~ 

Many thanks, Matt! Very much appreciate the fast turn-around on this fix.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software