UserNT
I forgot how this feature is officially called, its when useing comma in beginning of child thought e.g. ", John" and TheBrain shows name of parent thought in PLEX e.g. "Company John".

Problems:
  • only works when i create new thought and use comma trick right away, if i later edit thought name in thought properties and delete comma or edit first portion of name (one that comes from parent thought) comma trick stops to function.
  • if i want to use comma trick for existing thought by changing its name e.g. from "John" to ", John" it does not work simply displays in PLEX as ", John".
DavidGretzschel

"Creating Context-Sensitive Thought Names Using Commas" page 86 in the TB10-manual.

It specifically says that it's possible to do this during Thought-creation, but does not mention that it should work during name-changes.
I wouldn't consider it a bug.
And the reason why it's likely not implemented for name-change, is that a Thought might have multiple parents making it non-obvious what should happen then.
For that I'd suggest just disabling the "trick", when one is renaming and there are multiple or no parents around.

I think there might be some corner case-shenanings that might occur with parents themselves using the comma-trick.
Not sure, not interested right now in thinking that through. Nothing that shouldn't be easy to deal with, I suspect though.

I'd personally rename this into a feature-request, unless this already worked in TB10.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

dlorde
This is the case with TB 10 also. It can be annoying if you forget to put the comma in when creating the thought.
metta
I think this has been the case since I started working in TB7 -- and I think David's explanation applies here: "...the reason why it's likely not implemented for name-change is that a Thought might have multiple parents making it non-obvious what should happen then."
UserNT

I tried add multiple parents to thought with "Comma trick" and it still stays linked to first parent.

Actually it can be renamed without losing connection if you type in Label for that Though then switch around Label & Name. Then you can have any name, yet label still keeps the "comma trick" and if needed you can switch back.

Well perhaps for thoughts with multiple parents we could have option to select which parent to link to.

P.S. Me personally never felt need to have thought with multiple parent though's, what would be a use case scenario for this?

mattgyverlee
UserNT wrote:

P.S. Me personally never felt need to have thought with multiple parent though's, what would be a use case scenario for this?

Interesting question, one of the reasons I switched to TB is because it (unlike most mindmapping software) allows multiple parents as well as tags that dive extra dimensions. I work across many domains with varying relations. If I had a node for, for example, the study of "Psycholinguistics", I would give it a parent of both Psychology and Linguistics, as a grounding in both fields is needed to be competent in Psycholinguistics. 
Further down the line, a specific book or article written on Psycholinguistics would be a child of "Psycholinguistics" and also a child of the node I create for the Author.  

This allows me to find that book by starting at the author, the subject, or related subjects. A top-down-only strict branching system does not allow one to model such a connected relation, which is exactly the sort of relation I want to model, or better yet, discover via a graph. 

It also allows me to start building a map when I don't have the whole picture. When I discover I need to learn about something else to complement what I've found, it becomes a new parent, or a jump link.

Here's an example from a study on Adult Learning. Sometimes I use a link Type for Author (shown here), but most of the time I don't bother. A name that is a parent of a book/article is assumed to be an author. A name below a book article is assumed to be mentioned in that book/article.
2019-11-05 17_07_30-.png 
wcm49
Are you changing the Thought name or the Parent name? Either way, it works fine on my end. You can "attach" a Parent to a Thought after creation, or moving, by putting a comma after the Thought name, and then typing the name of the Parent exactly like is. Caps matter. This should have the same effect as creating a new thought with the "comma trick".
wcm49
If you change the "Parent" of the context name, it should ask you if you want to update all related context sensitive names.
mcaton
Bills answers should be correct. If you are seeing something different, please let us know.

Thanks,
Matt
metta
@wcm49 ~

Thanks so much for this very helpful reminder! I knew this once a long time ago, and then completely forgot. Ã°Å¸Ëœâ€°

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software