Manni
I'm using TheBrain for window in a Parallels Windows VM.

This means that my internal drive, where all my data is stored, is mapped as Y: in the VM, so that I can share the same data between the Host OS, and any VMs (I have many for various reasons).

I don't want to save my brains in the VM itself, because I never mix data with system files, plus it wouldn't be available to the host OS or to other VMs. Also I backup my VM less frequently than my data, as they don't change as often (and are very big, 100Gb or more), so it takes time to back them up.

With TheBrain V8, I was able to save without any problem to Y:\TheBrain, which is my folder for my brains in my internal SSD on the Macintosh HD drive.

With TheBrain V10, my default saving path has been set to "\\Mac\Home\Dropbox\Documents\Brains". Problem is, as you can see, that my default Documents folder sits in my Dropbox, which itself is located on the same internal SSD on my mac. So the VM isn't syncing (Which is why V10 doesn't detect a problem, Dropbox isn't running in the VM), only Dropbox Mac is syncing. I don't want to sync the same data both in the VM and in the host OS, that would be a waste of space and prone to cause issues.

So TheBrain V10 is unable to detect that my Documents folder is in fact contained in a Dropbox, which is likely to corrupt my database at some point, unless things have changed in V10 (which would be great news).

When I try to set my default folder to Y:\TheBrain, V10 refuses, saying it's a network drive.

Although technically, it is as this is a mapped drive created by Parallels in the VM to access the host shares on the Mac, in reality it isn't. It's my internal SDD and it's far more reliable than the Documents folder that V10 has selected, which lives in a dropbox.

Just to clarify the file structure:

Macintosh_HD/Users/Me/Dropbox is where my dropbox lives (synced by the Mac Dropbox app)
My current The Brain folder (for V8) is set to Y:\The Brain\ (Macintosh_HD\Users\Me\The Brain), so outside of the Dropbox folder, as it should be.
My Documents folders in the Windows VM has been moved to Macintosh_HD\Users\Me\Dropbox/Documents, because I want most of my documents (except my Brains as it's not safe) to be synced with Dropbox between my various Mac/PCs.
Y: in the Parallels VM points to Macintosh_HD/Users/Me
V10 wants to save my Brain into \\Mac\Home\Dropbox\Documents\Brains, which 1) is a network share and 2) is withing the dropbox folder synced by the Mac, so clearly a very bad idea.
I want to point it instead to Y:\TheBrain (\\Mac\Home\TheBrain), a much safer place in the same network share (in fact my internal SSD) but that's not allowed.

So please could we override the impossibility to save on a network drive? I know what I'm doing and in my case saving to a network drive is safer than the current path in V10 that I can't change unless I point my data to my system drive in the VM, which is a big no-no. I want to be able to restore a known working VM backup and be ready to go without losing any data. That can only happen if my data lies outside the VM (or system drive).

I totally understand why you want to prevent this in case the shares are indeed network shares that could be disconnected. But it's not the case for these Mapped drives in a VM, so we need to be able to override this, maybe with an advanced option?

All my workflow relies on that. My main presentation runs from the VM in Parallels, but I have all my data from the internal Mac SSD copied to an external NTFS SSD as a backup. This SSD will mount as a Y: drive if I need to switch to bootcamp to run my presentation because of a macOS partition failure or a problem with the external screen. All my files in The Brain will point immediately to the right file on the SSD. It's an immediate backup. No restore, no import. You simply reboot and you're ready to go. That's important when you have 200 people waiting in front of you 🙂. It's like having a backup laptop already set-up.

As to why I'm using the PC Version and not the Mac version of TheBrain on a Mac, it's because I can do very long presentations (up to 2-3 days) and I'm running videos (film clips in mkv). These clips are in high quality and very big (50gb in total), so they won't fit in the brain itself (I also don't want them to be online for copyright reasons). There is no way to play these clips as well on Mac OS as on Windows with MPC-BE (full screen, with or without subtitles depending on the audience).

Plus if my Mac OS partition fails for any reason, I want to have the instant backup offered by running bootcamp with my SSD Card backup, as described above. All the files, including the large video clips that remain outside of the brain itself, point to Y:, which is why I can do this. It would be impossible if I was using MacOS, or if I wasn't able to specify a drive letter and had to specify a full network path.
TB V10.0.32.0 running in Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1809 with Bootcamp on a 2018 MBP 13" with 16Gb of RAM, 2TB SSD and i7 @ 2.7Ghz.
mcaton
Manni,

Thank you for posting and sharing your user experience. TheBrain 10 will be saving your data in much the same way as v9. Obviously, there are some key improvements over v9, but the same rules pertaining to saving the data locally still apply.  Did you ever install v9 and if so, where did you store your Brains?

Thank you,
Matt
Manni
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply.

I had installed V9 when it was released, but it didn't have the presentation mode which I absolutely need for my presenatations, so I never really looked into V9 as that was a show stopper for me.

I'm only looking into V10 now because Presentation Mode was reinstated, so I can look at whether V10 could work for me (and I like a lot of what I see).

When I installed V9, I didn't even look where it installed the folders, I didn't see what they were named, I'm discovering all this now that I'm looking more closely at V10 as a potential upgrade for V8, which is still my production version. I have imported a couple of brains but the master versions remain in V8 (as I never used V9).

V9 must have decided to store my brains into the defaults documents folder in my Windows VM, which points to my dropbox on the host OS, as explained in the post above. V10 simply kept that default (that's my guess).

Just so you know, Harlan has started to reply to this in this thread: http://forums.thebrain.com/post/choosing-a-foldername-for-an-imported-brain-in-v10-9830510?pid=1305251884, but he hasn't replied to my last post, so I don't know if he's considering a solution (one of the two I'm suggesting or others) or not.
TB V10.0.32.0 running in Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1809 with Bootcamp on a 2018 MBP 13" with 16Gb of RAM, 2TB SSD and i7 @ 2.7Ghz.
Manni
Just to update this thread, Harlan has confirmed in the other thread linked above that an option will be added to disable the limitation regarding setting the default path to a network share (I assume at the user's risk) to make it possible to use mapped drives when they point to an internal drive (which can't be detected automatically). Thanks!
mcaton
Thanks Manni! We'll keep you posted on this topic.

Matt
Manni
Just tried 10.0.6 and it works great, thanks!

Just one thing you might want to do, is to ignore .DS_Store files that are created automatically in empty folders but are hidden.

When TB says that the folder isn't empty, it's because that file is there, but as it's hidden the user won't see it unless they enable hidden files in view option in file explorer and delete it, which is what I had to do.

It's safe to either ignore it or delete it if you really need an empty folder.

Well done for moving all the brains to the new path.

Thanks again for making this possible.
mcaton
Great to hear! Thanks for the update.

Matt
mcaton
.DS_Store files request is documented.

Thanks,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software