KenBlackman
Ok I haven't noticed the exact pattern, it's intermittent, but frequent.

Basically I use option-command-down arrow to create a new child thought, but it's not added as a child of the currently active thought. It's a child of some other thought. The active thought's parent; one of its other children; etc.

I have to find it, activate it, unlink it from this wrong parent, and link it to the desired parent.

(Fortunately of course the parent is down there in the recent list, so I can drag directly there.)
DavidGretzschel
Sounds like using the arrrow keys also controls the focus highlight at the same time. Then executing that command executes it at the focus highlight.
Never observed that, since I always hit F6, F7 or F8.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

DavidGretzschel
Well, I like my theory, but can't replicate it.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

--
---
---

KenBlackman
I figured it out! Whatever thought the mouse is over at the time, will be the parent of the new thought.

If the mouse isn't over any thought, the currently active thought will be the parent.

So the question is, is this expected / intended behavior?

If so, great. In fact, now that I KNOW that's what's happening, I can see it being useful. (And I'd say double-check to make sure the documentation is clear about it.)

And if not, well, that's what it's doing, and you can go in and fix it.
metta
@KenBlackman ~

Good detective work, Ken! Thanks so much for sharing your discovery.

Will be looking forward to feedback from TB team about whether this is the intended behavior or not....
DavidGretzschel
@KenBlackman 
ohh, it's that old friend.... that usually screws me when I'm working with the focus highlight, but it also captures the option/context-key, as well as any command done via keybinding.

It is expected and intended and I bloody hate it with a passion, since I have to babysit my mouse cursor all the time, because of it.
(the Plex changes all the time, depending on where I navigate to or which Layout I choose, in Fullscreen it doesn't take too long for a Thought to show up where the mouse is)
A thought hovered over by the cursor will always intercept all commands (unless it's one of the few commands that always work on the active Thought)

This often makes delete stuff on accident since I tend to work with the keyboard exclusively. In order to be completely safe from it, I have to park my mouse in a corner of the monitor. And sometimes I need to use the mouse in TheBrain anyway, since it's not completely keyboard-accessible.
So I have to remember to always park the cursor after working with a link, following a textlink, choosing an icon or choosing a color or BrainTheme or modifying a keybinding and so on.

Especially on my mini laptop which has a terrible touch crystal instead of a real trackpad, it's very stressful.
The mini Laptop is also a touch enabled device, so it will hide the mouse cursor from sight after a touch, forcing me to reset the position of something invisible. That makes me not use my touch screen at all, which is a shame.

--
---
---

DavidGretzschel
This is where I've already discussed the issue. I'm happy that someone else finally ran into it, as it's mainly an issue for keyboard-heavy users, which are underrepresented in the forum.

https://forums.thebrain.com/post/feature-request-split-hover-on-mouseoption-from-hover-on-keyboardhighlight-6127-10371490?pid=1310226032

https://forums.thebrain.com/post/feature-unrequest-disable-mouse-interaction-with-plex-completely-as-an-option-10410676?pid=1310597469#post1310597469

--
---
---

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software