UserNT Show full post »
mattgyverlee
I found this bug, too and the cause:

I was playing with options and clicked the non-scary-sounding "Use Compact Toolbar for Notes". When I returned to the Plex, it was unusably slow and TB hung several times before I checked the log.

I found that deselecting "Use Compact Toolbar for Notes" creates up to 10 warnings per second in the log (my log had quickly topped 10MB) and the excess logging hangs TB 11. Reselecting the option (and maybe deleting the huge Log file) clears up the lag.

2019-11-05 02:37:20.1170 | WARN | TheBrain.Desktop.KezaToolbar | [618] Notes toolbar width is very narrow: 1. Requesting new layout in 500 ms.
2019-11-05 02:37:20.1390 | WARN | TheBrain.Desktop.KezaToolbar | [618] Notes toolbar width is very narrow: 1. Requesting new layout in 500 ms.
2019-11-05 02:37:20.2546 | WARN | TheBrain.Desktop.KezaToolbar | [618] Notes toolbar width is very narrow: 1. Requesting new layout in 500 ms.
2019-11-05 02:37:20.3675 | WARN | TheBrain.Desktop.KezaToolbar | [618] Notes toolbar width is very narrow: 1. Requesting new layout in 500 ms.
2019-11-05 02:37:20.4872 | WARN | TheBrain.Desktop.KezaToolbar | [618] Notes toolbar width is very narrow: 1. Requesting new layout in 500 ms.
2019-11-05 02:37:20.6137 | WARN | TheBrain.Desktop.KezaToolbar | [618] Notes toolbar width is very narrow: 1. Requesting new layout in 500 ms.
2019-11-05 02:37:20.6346 | WARN | TheBrain.Desktop.KezaToolbar | [618] Notes toolbar width is very narrow: 1. Requesting new layout in 500 ms.
2019-11-05 02:37:20.7557 | WARN | TheBrain.Desktop.KezaToolbar | [618] Notes toolbar width is very narrow: 1. Requesting new layout in 500 ms.
2019-11-05 02:37:20.8634 | WARN | TheBrain.Desktop.KezaToolbar | [618] Notes toolbar width is very narrow: 1. Requesting new layout in 500 ms.
2019-11-05 02:37:20.9905 | WARN | TheBrain.Desktop.KezaToolbar | [618] Notes toolbar width is very narrow: 1. Requesting new layout in 500 ms.
metta
@mattgyverlee ~

Good detective work! Hope the will help TB team come up with a fix.

In the meantime, thanks for sharing this helpful update! ðŸ™‚
jroeterd
Thanks for that ... 

Disabling the "Use compact toolbar for notes" options does indeed fix the excessive writing in the output.log file. 
Still using enormous amounts of CPU but it is now quicker to return to a 5-6 % CPU when not using (still not right). 

A fix would still be nice though as I usually use TheBrain in a relatively small window (a quarter or a third of screensize. So now I have in the notes editor 3 rows of icons above the note :-(. That looks a little strange.

Regards,
JeRoen
mattgyverlee
So toggling the option worked for both of us. If I'm reading this correctly, @jroeterd , yours became more stable and less "loggy" with the non-compact, and mine became more stable and less "loggy" with the compact. That's odd.
I just swapped it back, and the logging didn't restart. It seems that, whatever causes the error state to start, toggling this option either way fixes the edge case and defines the height properly. Weird...
I prefer the expanded because I use the "Link to Thought" option often (that is hidden in the hamburger menu), but you may be able to switch back safely to your preference. Try it.
UserNT
I found this bug, too and the cause:

I was playing with options and clicked the non-scary-sounding "Use Compact Toolbar for Notes". When I returned to the Plex, it was unusably slow and TB hung several times before I checked the log.

I found that deselecting "Use Compact Toolbar for Notes" creates up to 10 warnings per second in the log (my log had quickly topped 10MB) and the excess logging hangs TB 11. Reselecting the option (and maybe deleting the huge Log file) clears up the lag.

Windows 10, TB 11x31

Great find you saved me from lots of headache with this bug while waiting for next update.

I confirm had option Preferences > Notes Editor > "Use Compact Toolbar for Notes" checked OFF when i had this bug, now checking it ON and no more log entries are being created.
jroeterd
UserNT wrote:

Great find you saved me from lots of headache with this bug while waiting for next update.

I confirm had option Preferences > Notes Editor > "Use Compact Toolbar for Notes" checked OFF when i had this bug, now checking it ON and no more log entries are being created.

That means only when you have the notes editor open ... when you use the full plex (like I prefer) the logging is still there. No matter what setting you change. 
jroeterd
Just to let you know ... 

In  https://forums.thebrain.com/post/thebrain-11-0-32-10349765?pid=1310031763 Harlan writes that bug(#6000) Notes toolbar layout firing when notes are not visible, causing many log entries is fixed in .32 release. I just checked and it is still the same old behaviour. When notes are visible the logging is not there, when I only show the plex the excessive logging is again starting. 
mcaton
Thanks for posting. You are absolutely correct. We found the issue re-occurring in 11.0.32 as well, so #6000 goes back into the queue.

Thank you,
Matt
Harlan
11.0.32 fixed for macOS but not Windows. 11.0.33 fixes for both.
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software