rwstout
I have a PB 5.5 Pro license.
I use my brain on Windows 7.
I also work in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

I thought I could work on the same brain from a Windows environment and a Linux PC (not at the same time), but it looks as if what I added/changed in the Linux session is not seen when I switch to Windows.

Any advise?
René Stout
Tiendeveen, The Netherlands

TheBrain 7
J-1.7.0
Windows7 Home Premium / Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
mcaton
René,

Yes, the Brains that you create can open in Windows, Linux and Mac.  Are you moving your brain from one machine to another using a Brainzip?

Thanks,
Matt
rwstout
uhhh,

I use the same brain on a dual boot PC. Sometimes W7, sometimes Ubuntu.

It looks as if changes I applied from Ubuntu are not visible when I open that brain from within Windows 7.
René Stout

TheBrain 7
J-1.7.0
tcahill
You can experience difficulties due to the way the disks are mounted by the two operating systems. Linux mounts all storage hardware off of root "/". Windows mounts disks each with its own Drive letter "C:\".

You may want to try to brainzip your file before switching OS, then unziping after booting into the other OS. Then check to see if your changes have made it over.

You can also check your file paths in properties and attachments to see if there are any issues.

Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
rwstout
Ok,

I understand.
I'll use the zip procedure.

Thanks!
René Stout

TheBrain 7
J-1.7.0
Qwill
Here is how I found a way to overcome this :

I share a disk partition between Windows and Linux, and use PBrain on both :
When on Windows, I link the related directory to my thought (c:\users\jdoe\ProjectA for instance). If you set the options to show linked folders as virtual thoughts, you can then navigate within your folder. (Nothing magic here.)
Then; when I'm back to Linux, I use to link (again) the related folder to the thought (let say /home/users/jdoe/ProjectA ).
I noticed that when in Linux, as the Windows linked folder is not present, it doesn't show up; and vice-versa! (In each environment, only the relevant folder link appears).

Then, I avoid to link files, but always copy or move them in the brain.

I am really happy to be able to use the same brain in both environments, my only woes are that the Linux version lacks easy drag and drop; transparent background; and auto-float feature!

TheBrain 9.0.250 -  OsX High Sierra &  Win7
bhmueller
Done: "You may want to try to brainzip your file before switching OS, then unziping after booting into the other OS."

Before switching OS, I've brainzipped my file. Then, in Ubuntu 10.10 I started PersonalBrain6.0 (free edition), open the brainzip-file, choose a folder to unzip and PersonalBrain tries to unzip the file. But:
The file was not extracted. The Brain-name was not found.

What maybe going wrong?

Thanks.

Bernd Müller, Germany
Moe
Bernd, Thank You for posting. Can you try changing the .brainzip extension for your Brainzip to .zip then try extracting the zip as you would any other zip file. Once extracted, see if the folder you extracted the zip to contains your .brain file. If so, open PB then select File > Open Brain then select your .brain file to open your Brain. If the .brain file is not present, please forward us a copy of the problematic Brainzip to support@thebrain.com so we can further trouble-shoot the issue.

Thanks,
Moe

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software