dkpalmer

Downloaded several times. Install copies files; asks for language ( English ), then nothing. Process "PersonalBrain_windows_5_5_2_4.exe*32" shows as running but not using resources and install actually runs. I uninstalled Version5.5.2.1 to see if that would resolve the issue, but no luck. This is running on a Compaq laptop - Windows 7 Pro/64bit with 4Gigs of Ram. I've disabled antivirus. Not sure where to go from here.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't.
Moe
dk,

Sounds like there was a conflict with the installer. Please download the zip archive version which can be found on to the right of the download link on the downloads page. Look for the small print "Archive format without an installer"

The instructions for installing using the zip archive are:

1. Download the "Archive format without an installer"
   2. The zip file does not include an installer, so please follow the instructions to manually install.
   3. Extract the contents of the zip file. This should yield a folder called "PersonalBrain".
   4. Move this folder into your "C:\Program Files" folder.
   5. Right click on the file "PersonalBrain.exe" then select "Create Shortcut"
   6. Move the created shortcut onto your desktop.
   7. Drag the shortcut to the Start button to add a copy of it there also.
   8. To launch PersonalBrain, use the shortcut you have just created.

Thanks,
Moe
dkpalmer

That worked for the installation. However, two new things happen. First, whenI open the Brain it forces a reset of the color scheme - Win7 identifies it as not being compatible with the Aero graphics. This isn't a big issue. BUT...I can't open any existing brains. Nor can I creaete a new brain. All that shows in the plex is the word "loading" - which appears to be active but never completes. I'm not sure what's going on since All previous versions of the Brain have run flawlessly.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't.
Moe
dk, can you try updating to the latest release of Java from the following link to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks,
Moe

dkpalmer

Bingo. That fixed it. Many thanks.

dkpalmer

The Java upgrade actually resolved the problem. A co-worker had the same issue and also fixed it with a Java update. The issue appears to affect Win7/64 Operating sytstems. Not sure about the 32bit.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software