lexrehabtech

When I try to open my Brain file I get a message that it is already open.  I have reinstalled and I have rebooted, but still have the same problem.  Other Brains open fine, just not the most important one I need.  Any ideas what might be wrong?  I really need to get into this file.  TIA

Moe
lexrehabtech, Thank You for posting and welcome to the forum . It sounds like the PersonalBrain process is still running on your system. Upon a successful shutdown it should close. Please try the procedure below to see if you can get your Brain back up and working.

1. Hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete on your keyboard to bring up your task manager.

2. Select the processes (tab). At the top, click on image name to sort the list by alphabet.

3. Look for any processes with the name "PersonalBrain.exe". Once found, right click on each then select end process.

4. Once you have cleared all "PersonalBrain.exe" processes restart PB then select to open your Brain using the File > Open Brain command.

Thanks,
Moe
Moe
Further reviewing your post. If you have rebooted your system then PB is probably not running unless you have PB set to start upon reboot (Options > Preferences > General (tab) > Open when Windows starts). Please post a screenshot of the exact error message you are receiving.

If you have PB set to Auto-hide (Window > Auto Hide - menu option) and the option "Open the last used Brain at startup" in Options > Preferences > Advanced (tab) then it could be that PB is starting upon reboot then Auto-hiding. If that is the case, if you run PB again then try to open your Brain you will receive a message indicating that your Brain is already open. If that is not the case, please force a rebuild of your Brain database using the instructions below then re-open your Brain.

1. Create a backup of your Brain by making a copy of your .brain file and _brain folder.

2. In your _brain folder locate the folder "brain_db". Rename this folder to "brain_db_old1".

3. Start PB then load your Brain.

Please let me know the results.

Thanks,
Moe
Ronielle
Forcing the database to rebuild was the only thing that worked for me when I encountered this problem.

Thanks for your help!

Ronielle

Ronielle Buduhan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software