dpearson

Hi

I recently upgraded my computer from XP to a new Windows 7 machine, re-installed Personal Brain Pro and have encountered a problem opening .PDF attachments in my Brains.

OS - Windows 7 Pro SP1

PB - Personal Brain Pro 6.0.7.5

Java - v6 update 30

The .pdf files are still in the PB directory structure and if I do "Open attachment with..." and select Adobe reader, the file opens no problem.  But if I simply left-click on the attachment it fails to open.

One possible clue is that the icons for the attachments are plain white as opposed to having the little Adobe logo.  It is behaving as though it does not know how to open a PDF file.  However, I have lots of PDF files on my system and I can open them through normal means outside of PB.  Is there a PB-specific file type control panel?  Any thoughts may help.

thanks

David Pearson

dpearson@icebergnetworks.com

ps - other attachment types work just fine (word, excel, etc.)

jbennett
David, 

Thanks for posting.  When you click "open with" from Personal brain and you choose Adobe Reader, do you have the option to "Always use the selected program to open the selected file," at the bottom left?  Make sure this option is checked and try again.

James
zoner
Quote:
When you click "open with" from Personal brain and you choose Adobe Reader, do you have the option to "Always use the selected program to open the selected file," at the bottom left?  Make sure this option is checked and try again.

David, If that does not work it probably means that your system has trouble saving the setting because the right click open with dialogue is not a PB dialogue, it's the standard Windows right click open with dialogue. You can test it out by right clicking a file in either Windows explorer or your desktop then select 'Open With', they should be the exact same dialogue window.
dpearson

Uhm

So, the open-with dialog box has the "always use the selected..." check box available.  I have tried checking it and unchecking it and checking it again and such.  Just in case, I tried running PB as administrator and selecting the "always use" application, but it insists on not recognizing PDF files.  Any other ideas?  Obviously, I have a work-around, but a real solution would be much better.

David

dpearson

Hi

Problem solved!!

I started reading web posts on file associations not working properly, and there was a Microsoft forum that suggested I could have a corrupt user profile.  I created a new profile and bingo, PDF works in PB Pro.   I followed the instructions on how to fix a corrupted user profile and I am back in business.

Cheers

David

pthompson
David,

Thank you for the update. Glad that it's working for you now.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software