Julian2008

In order not to harm my brain10 files, I created a new, empty file in Beta11 and imported an brz file created for this specific purpose.
This was the ONLY FILE I played around with while in Brain 11.

And now, when I started Brain10 in order open my usual work files I'm getting this message:

You should update to Brain 11.0 to open this brain.

I really don't know what to say. How can you publish a Beta version that immediately takes hostage of all the brain 10 files (WITHOUT explicitely opening them)?

I'm now getting back to an 2 days old backup, but not before deinstalling this Beta.

Click image for larger version - Name: brain10-message.jpg, Views: 46, Size: 38.50 KB
nick
Hi Julian,

The idea behind the message is to discourage users from switching back and forth between v10 and v11. This is primarily because Notes created in v11 are in a format that is not backwards compatible with v10. 

Since the Brain in question you say has not been opened or edited in v11 before, the contents of your Brain will be fine. It is only with Brains that have had new thoughts/notes made in v11 that will not be able to display those notes in v10. Note the message does not prohibit you from opening it. 

We're sorry for the potential confusion this may cause. Please rest assured your Brains are still usable. 

Uninstalling the beta is unnecessary at this point, unless of course you no longer wish to use it. 

Please let me know if I can answer any further questions.
Thanks
-Nick
Julian2008

Hi Nick, thanks for this important clarification.

So please forget about my complaint. After opening my main brain again in v10 (not opened before in v11) I was presented with an uglily looking note screen - all black with nasty text colors - so I had to assume that this had been caused by a now corrupted file.
I was not aware that -- while still in v11 I also had - for the first time - switched from the light to the dark theme which obviously was then automatically inherited to Brain v10, that is, when v11 had already been deinstalled.

So I do apologize for this confusion, but nevertheless - you should better change this error message because once a user gets rid of v11 (for whatever reason) then this warning becomes pretty confusing.

BTW: Why should the user who likes the dark theme (in the plex and gui) at the same time be forced to write white notes on a black background in the now uglily looking notes window? The text background should remain rather bright/white instead of dark or even black.

nick
Hi Julian,

We will definitely make note that the error message can potentially be confusing for users. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. 

As far as your issue with the Notes editor while in Dark mode, this issue has been recently resolved. Can you verify whether you a running the latest update of The Brain v11? 

Thanks
-Nick

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software