Ge_It
Hi,

My native language is Italian. I used TheBrain something like 5+ years ago and I'm starting a new brain for a specific project of mine.

Sometimes I find myself giving English names to things (e.g. i instinctively named a tag "Next Step" instead of "Step successivo"). Would you help me brainstorm possible pros and cons of having a bilingual brain? I found these ones:

CON: Even if my English is good, my Italian is better
CON: A bilingual brain could hinder future searches
PRO: There are some topics which I mostly read English material about (e.g. maybe I know the English jargon and I don't know the Italian jargon), so English is my first language for those topics
metta
@Ge_It ~ Thought you might be interested in seeing this example of a bilingual (French/English) brain.created by Xavier.

@Xavier  ~ Perhaps you have some thoughts you would care to share with Ge_It in response to his preceding question?
mcaton
I often remind people that they can have the best of both worlds in many scenarios.  Such as having both a link to a file AND a copy of the same file internally on the same thought. Or having the English document AND the Italian document on the same thought.

The topic of language has come up often in the past as well.  I know of several users that have their Brain thoughts in English, but the Thought Label has the French or Spanish translation.  Both will then turn up in search results and direct users to the same thought, whether you search for mountain, montagne, montaña or Горы.  True, this scenario takes a bit of extra effort, but it can be edited over time (you might not immediately need the translation for EVERY thought in the label)  and becomes even more useful to bilingual users if the Brain is ever publicly shared.

Matt
Xavier
@Ge_It 
As you can see, I have opted to put the French and English wording in the Thought name in my knowledge base: https://bra.in/3p6BPp

Unfortunately, this choice is related to a bug (or limitation) in the search for the Web version (Webbrain). As a reminder, searching with Webbrain does not search for labels, notes, attachments or linked URLs. It's very, very, very unfortunate...
https://forums.thebrain.com/post/more-webbrain-search-enhancements-when-10199616?pid=1309110069&random=59865
https://forums.thebrain.com/post/search-inside-webbrain-4938425?pid=1265826260&random=7308

@mcaton 
It is very important to remind this limitation to TheBrain users. Personally, I also often use the search with the TheBrain version and the WebBrain version...
For me, with this web search bug, it is impossible to use the Thought label. Maybe version 11 will finally fix this bug?
metta
Thank you, Xavier, for highlighting this important issue.

Definitely +1 for providing the option to search labels, notes, attachments and linked URLs.

(I would also like to be able to delete [or hide] the default thought type label when no other label has been assigned.)
mcaton
Xavier,

Good point and you are correct.  Adding any type of text in the thought label will not benefit you when searching in the web client. I'll verify that this is still a documented feature request.

Thank you,
Matt
Ge_It
Thank you. I think labels might be the way to go.
obrugman
clever suggestion by Matt. thanks. won´t work as well when using many languages (4 or 5). 
Tools: The Brain | Evernote | DayOne | Ayoa | iMindMap | Omnigraffle | OmniOutliner | Ulysses | Scrivener |
mcaton
I have not tried yet... but now that we have a new feature in v11 with multiple Notes per thought, this could be helpful for duplicating notes in different languages...

Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software