lunatrix
The comma trick is one of the gems of the Brain.
It works brilliantly when you create a new thought - but seems NOT to work when you add a comma at the start of the name of an existing thought.
Is that something that can be fixed without too much bother?
Retrospective comma trick is something I want to do pretty often (perhaps as part of a restructure, perhaps because forgot to do it on creation) and currently seems to require deleting, re-creating and re-linking (unless I have missed something?).
Thx!
mcaton
Helen,

Thanks for posting.  You are correct, the comma trick does not add your Parent Thought name automatically if the Thought has already been created.  In order for the auto-fill to work, the comma must be added when the Thought is being created.  You can manually add the parent name and a comma on an existing Thought.

It's a good feature suggestion to have the auto fill work on an existing thought too.  Especially if it's just a comma at the beginning of a Thought name.  I'll document this as a new feature request.

Thanks!
Matt
Harlan
This won't work because there is no way for TB to know which thought you mean to reference.
Regards,
-Harlan
lunatrix
Ah yes - that makes sense. Matt - thanks for the tip about manually adding the name. Easy to specify which parent is meant and works well.
jbaty
I would use this frequently as well. Harlan, if a though has only one parent then TB could derive the name, no?

There are probably a number of other reasons it won't work, but it sure would be nice if it could [smile].
tomcal123
Perhaps we could right-click on the link between parent and child and an option could be "Insert the comma trick on this child"
Harlan
The feature is not exclusive to parents. It can be used for any connected thought. The way to make this possible would be need to involve a UI to allow selecting which thought should be used. It's not impossible but difficult to do elegantly.
Regards,
-Harlan
danlandrum
I'm not sure if you're looking for this kind of specific feedback, but I envision a dropdown menu in the Thought Properties popup titled Prepend. This menu would drop three submenus, Parent, Child, and Jump. The possible prepended name connections specific to the focused thought would be listed depending on choice. For instance, if the thought had three parents, choosing Prepend>Parent> would display the three parents.

OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
mcaton
Interesting concept and I'll certainly document this.  My first thought - it would help anyone intending to utilize the comma trick, but could potentially complicate/confuse anyone that isn't aware of this feature.  Maybe if the "comma trick suggestions" could be turned on/off in preferences... ?

Thanks,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software