troyd2011
I've recently upgraded PCs and I'm attempting to copy the brain files from my old Windows XP to my new Windows 7 system.   When I copy the brain to Windows 7 using either plain old Zip or the Brain Zip utility it loses many attachments.  

Some missing attachments are notes others are URLs.  If I run the repair utility to attach orphaned attachments it finds 281 orphaned attachments.   If I run the utility on my old computer it shows 0 orphaned attachments.

Why does it work fine on Win XP, but not Win 7?

I have had other issues with PB6 freezing up on Win 7. Are there any settings that need to be used for Win 7?  I am running on a brand new Win 7 machine.

mcaton
Troy,

Thank you for posting.  I'm researching this issue now.  What version of PersonalBrain are you running?

Thank you,
Matt 
troyd2011
Hello,

I tried it on both PB 6.074 and PB 6.075.

Thanks.

parsec
Yikes! I'll be in the same boat tomorrow! New work Win7 system is scheduled to arrive and I've got a week or so to migrate everything.
Is there a suggested methodology to do this?

brian.

on the brain since 1.3
mcaton
We haven't had any other reports of this nature with Win7 and there shouldn't be any type of special settings that need to be adjusted to make PB work properly.

It may be a bit of a tedious exercise, but can you create the .brainzip in XP and then extract it to a 'new' directory, to make sure it remains intact.  Then take the same .brainzip file and extract it on your Win7 machine to see if the problem occurs.  This may help indicate whether the issue is .brainzip or Win7 specific.

Also, could we get a copy of the .brainzip for testing?  You could send this to support@thebrain.com

Thank you,
Mattt

troyd2011
As I said in my first post I've already done that exercise using regular Zip and the Brain Zip method.

I can see the attachments in the directory with long ID name, but for some reason PB6 just does not see them on Win 7.

Sorry I can't send a brain file as it is full of proprietary work information. 

I guess it's back to brain 3 for me on my work machine.  Are there any Java issues on Win 7? There are always issues with Java.

zoner
When I copy the brain to Windows 7 using either plain old Zip or the Brain Zip utility it loses many attachments. 

Are you unzipping (standard unzip of a zip file) over a copy of your previous brain? Or are you extracting your brainzip overwriting a previous copy of your brain? Or this happens in both cases when you unzip your brain using standard unzip process and when using PB to extract your brainzip? 

From what you say, it sounds like everything is ok on the source computer (your attachments and notes) until you bring everything over to your win 7 computer. Thats highly unlikely. It sounds like the problem is present on your source computer also. Have you tried running the repair utility on your source computer to see if the problem is present on the source computer? If your Brain is fine on the source computer you should try copying your .brain file and _brain folder onto your win 7 computer then open your brain to see if it is ok. If it is then something in the unzip process could be the problem. If that is true then try copying a few thoughts (not confidential thoughts with attachments and notes where the problem happens when you zip then unzip). Try recreating the problem with the test thoughts, if you can then send the test brain to support.
troyd2011
>From what you say, it sounds like everything is ok on the source computer (your attachments and notes) until you bring everything over to your win 7 computer. Thats highly unlikely.

Well highly unlikely does not make it impossible now does it?

I cleaned out the folder each time I copied the Zip file. 

As I said before I used both regular Zip and the Brain Zip method.

As I said in my previous posts there are NO orphan attachments on the source computer.  And I can see the notes and URLs on the XP machine.

zenrain
Quote:
I can see the attachments in the directory with long ID name, but for some reason PB6 just does not see them on Win 7.

It sounds to me like the database has an issue on the Windows 7 machine, as the files are there, but PB isn't seeing them. If you drag them out onto your desktop, and then back into the folder, does PB then pick them up?

I would start PB in Admin mode after unzipping it (so it can write the output.log), activate a thought with the missing files and then try dragging the attachment out of the folder and back in. Then send support a copy of the output.log in the Program Files/PersonalBrian folder so they can see if anything is recorded that could help determine the cause.

Also, if you go into the Windows Uninstall programs window, do you have multiple Java versions there? If so, you may try uninstalling the older ones.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
troyd2011
I tried dragging them out of the folder and back in and no luck.

I tried uninstalling, wiping out my preferences in App Data, and reinstalling.

I tried rebuilding the DB on the XP machine and then copying the brain back again into a clean folder.

All no luck.

It is a brand new machine and only has one Java installation. Version 1.6.0_26.

I can see in the output.log where I moved the notes.rtf file in and out of the folder, but it still does not show up as in the notes window for the thought.

mcaton
Troy,

Thank you, we've receive your log file in support and we are reviewing the issue now.

Thank you,
Matt
troyd2011
I changed tactics and just dragged the brain folder from one laptop to the other without using any zip utilities.  It took a long time to do the copy, but this seems to have worked. The brain on my Win 7 machine now shows 0 orphaned attachments!

mcaton
Good to hear that you had a successful transfer.  We'll keep testing on our end.

Thank you,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software