Brice
I know that there was already many discussions about icons in TB, but a small and very usefull improvement can be added without problems I think :

We already have a "Paste icon" option (Pro version), can we consider to add a "Copy icon" option ? (Might be Pro too)

When you add new child to a node and many of its "brothers" have already a defined icon, allowing to copy icon from one of them can save a lot of time.
- Brice.
French user - TheBrain 7 beta.
pthompson
Hello Brice,

Thank you for posting. Do you mean adding the ability to copy and paste icons directly in TheBrain or copy and paste from anywhere or are you simply trying to apply icons to all Thoughts within a certain type? 

If you create a Thought Type with a specific icon, you can apply this Thought Type to other Thoughts and they will gain the Thought Type attributes, such as an icon. 

Alternatively, you can copy an image from practically any location and paste it as a Thought Icon.
Brice
Sure I already know these two options in TB.

I mean allow to copy the current icon of a thought (via the 'down-arrow' menu left to the thought label in the "Properties & Links" tab). 

Then we will be able to re-paste it in another thought.

Brice
- Brice.
zenrain
As a third option, you can duplicate an existing thought, which will inherit all it's properties. You can then F2 to rename, and drag + shift to move it to a new parent thought.
To do that, right click on the thought you wish to duplicate and choose Create Duplicate Child Thought. You can also assign a keyboard shortcut in Options > Preferences > Accelerators (I use ctrl+ D).

Having said all that, this would be a useful option for thoughts that have already been created. Right now we have to open the thought folder, copy the icon and then Paste Thought Icon to the other thought.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Brice
Hi Zenrain, that's a good temporary quickhack indeed, thanks for that.
However it does not really replace the "copy icon" option in the long term imo.

Brice
- Brice.
FreeSpirit
Another possibity is to click the open thought folder link, which is next to the add attachment. For thoughts with a icon the icon will be shown in the thought folder.

I read that somewhere here on this forum and have been using it since. Works in the 7 beta also.

Brice
Not everytime.
For example, if you paste an URL to your thought from Google Chrome from a website which haven't set a specific icon, it will display the Google Chrome icon.
In this case, this icon dosen't appear in the thought folder
- Brice.
zenrain
Brice wrote:
Hi Zenrain, that's a good temporary quickhack indeed, thanks for that.
However it does not really replace the "copy icon" option in the long term imo.

Brice

Agreed.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Brice
I'm also still wondering why TB does not accept .ico format when selecting icon for a thought but only jpg, gif, png - does it exists a technical reason or is it only a political decision ?
- Brice.
pthompson
Brice wrote:
I'm also still wondering why TB does not accept .ico format when selecting icon for a thought but only jpg, gif, png - does it exists a technical reason or is it only a political decision ?

I am more inclined to guess that this is a political reason as an .ico file is specific to the Windows operating system and we do our best to make TheBrain as cross-platform as possible, however, if you are interested in making this a feature request, you may want to add it to our Uservoice page (http://thebrain.uservoice.com). The site lets our engineers categorize users' feature requests by popularity. If a particular request receives enough votes, it may become a candidate for implementation in a future release of TheBrain.

Regards,

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software