francus
I know D&D doen't work in linux, but, how can I copy or move a file to the brain, as an attachment?

With "add attachment" option, I am only able to get a link to the file, but not to copy or move it into the brain.

With the "Properties & Attachments" there is a button that promises: "Paste an attachment from the clipboard". But if I cut or copy a file perhaps on the Desktop, and try to use this button, nothing happens.

If I try Thought/Move file into the brain, I get a message: "the file could not be moved. Please make sure it is not in use and try again"

Am I the only one that is unable to copy or move files to the brain?

Dryopithecus
Quote:
With the "Properties & Attachments" there is a button that promises: "Paste an attachment from the clipboard". But if I cut or copy a file perhaps on the Desktop, and try to use this button, nothing happens.

On my machine, this feature doesn't work either. Seems it works only if the file is copied from inside a PB brain.

Quote:
If I try Thought/Move file into the brain, I get a message: "the file could not be moved. Please make sure it is not in use and try again"

Most of the time, it works on my machine. But if the file is opened by another program (the program may be working in the background with no visible window), then PB won't be able to move the file.

Usually, when I want to move/copy a file into my brain, I will open the folder for the thought, and then try to move/copy the file to that folder.
Dryopithecus
And I also created an "intermediate thought" named "my Desktop". And I changed it's thought folder from a real folder to a symbolic link that pointing to my Desktop folder (/home/username/Desktop).

(Sorry for my terrible English)

It means any file in my Desktop folder would automatically be an internal attachment of my PB brain.

When I want to save a file into my PB brain, I will firstly save it to my Desktop, then in my PB brain, I can't DnD the file to the desired thought.
francus
Many thank for the help. I have a couple of questions:

which Command do you use to open the folder of the thought you want to copy a file to?

Dryopithecus wrote:
And I also created an "intermediate thought" named "my Desktop". And I changed it's thought folder from a real folder to a symbolic link that pointing to my Desktop folder (/home/username/Desktop)..

How do you do that? Where do you write this link to /home/username/Desktop ?

I am new to linux, so sorry if write obvious questions
Dryopithecus
You are welcome!

Quote:
which Command do you use to open the folder of the thought you want to copy a file to?

In the Plex, right click on a thought, then click "Open Thought Folder" in the popup menu.

Alternatively, there is a button in the "Properties & Attachments" window that has the same function.

Quote:
How do you do that? Where do you write this link to /home/username/Desktop ?

Here are the steps (I'm using Ubuntu 8.04): Click image for larger version - Name: 1.png, Views: 309, Size: 21.76 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 2.png, Views: 305, Size: 54.52 KB
Click image for larger version - Name: 3.png, Views: 305, Size: 39.98 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 4.png, Views: 305, Size: 17.72 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 5.png, Views: 304, Size: 21.29 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 6.png, Views: 303, Size: 47.09 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 7.png, Views: 301, Size: 44.75 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 9.png, Views: 300, Size: 51.06 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Done.png, Views: 300, Size: 43.00 KB
Dryopithecus
Alternatively, you can create a symbolic link for the thought folder of the "intermediate thought", then move the symbolic link onto your Desktop.

But make sure the thought folder of the "intermediate thought" always has at least one file in it, or PB would automatically delete it, then the symbolic link won't work.
francus
Dryopithecus,
thank you so much for the super detailed explanation. There is step I do not know how to pass:

When I click on the Open Thought Folder menu item, I only get the following message: "Enter the command to use to browse folders This command will be saved and used again next time. Select Preferences from the Options menu to change it."

Tried to paste a screenshot of this step, but even that doesn't work

Well, thank you very much

Click image for larger version - Name: Screenshot.png, Views: 283, Size: 129.97 KB
Dryopithecus
You are welcome!
Quote:
When I click on the Open Thought Folder menu item, I only get the following message: "Enter the command to use to browse folders This command will be saved and used again next time. Select Preferences from the Options menu to change it."

Seems you are using Ubuntu too, so just type "nautilus" (without quotes. nautilus is the default file manager of Ubuntu) into the message dialog, then click "OK" button. "Luckily" PB will remember this command and will not prompt you again.

The reason for this is: on Linux, seems PB doesn't know the default programs that used to open some "unknown" file types.

And unfortunately, seems PB can't remember most of the "unknown" programs yet, so it will ask you every time when you try to open an "unknown" file type (say rmvb). I think this would be "fixed" in future.

More info about "Launching Attachments": http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=1701556
francus
Dryopithecus

wow, using the word "nautilus" it works!!!!!. Many thanks. This is an important step achieved!!!

Now I stopped trying to copy the symbolic link to Desktop to the separate FAT32 disk where I keep Brain files.

If I try to simply drag the link to the Brain folder, se taught in you guide above, get: Error while copying to "/media/sda6...brain/Files". You do not have permissions to write to this folder.

If I try to use the terminal to do the same thing I get:

$ sudo cp -r /home/f/Link\ to\ Desktop /media/sda6/My\ Brains/PersonalBrain/KINN_brain/Files/
cp: cannot create symbolic link `/media/sda6/My Brains/PersonalBrain/KINN_brain/Files/Link to Desktop': Operation not permitted

Sorry

Dryopithecus
Unfortunately, FAT32 doesn't support symbolic links, so you can't create symbolic links from FAT32 to EXT3 etc.

But you can do it the opposite way: by using a symbolic link (from EXT3 to FAT32), "move" your desktop folder (/home/UserName/Desktop) to a thought folder (/media/sda6/My\ Brains/PersonalBrain/KINN_brain/Files/thought_folder_name), which is on the FAT32 volume.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link
Quote:
To create a symbolic link in Unix, at the shell prompt, enter the following command:

ln -s target_filename symlink_filename

About "Move Desktop Folder": http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=534336
francus
Dryopithecus,

wondeful, now it works. I formatted the FAT32 partition to NTFS, mounted it, transferred all Brain files on it, then followed your guide and it works. It is even possible to cut a file on the attachment list of the symbolic link, paste it to the proper thought and have it disappear on the Desktop too, without any need to delete it from the Desktop.

Terrific instrument, very good Dryopithecus. If you happen to pass in Switzerland I'll offer you a dinner. Where do you live?

Dryopithecus
Francus,

Glad it worked! By reading your posts, I also improved my English, so thank you too!

And thanks for the offer! I'm living in Sichuan province of China. Maybe someday I will visit Switzerland.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software