fernandopcoelho
Hi community!

I'm facing the following annoying issue.
I would like to use the "copy thought URL" feature to create links to certain thoughts from external applications like word, outlook (notes), etc.
The problem is that when I click the created  "brain://..." link...another instance of the brain launches instead of the currently running jumps to the desired thought.
Of course, after some seconds when the new instance of the brain start it gives a message that the brain that I'm trying to launch is already opened!
Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for you help,

Fernando
tmcconnell
I've been trying to do the same sort of thing - create links in excel tables to open the brain to specific thoughts. I run into the same problem: a second brain launches rather than going directly to the already open brain.

Anyone have an easy fix to this? I feel that I must be missing something obvious too.

HeinrichUnger
For me it seems to be a good behavior.

I like to open a second brain.
jostber
I tested the same thing in Excel and got the same result. Would be useful to have it go directly to the thought in an open Brain.
TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
Hbrooks2
Were the "copy local Thought URL" problems addressed on MAC?  brain:\\ is not registered with TheBrain application and when TheBrain app is selected from applications area to open URL,, the URL does not go to a thought.  At least under Yosemite, the link is not going to the thought were URL was copied.  This is TheBrain 8 Pro vers 8.0.1.4 Nov 20,2014, J-1.8.0_31

pthompson
Hbrooks2,

Can you share an example of where you are trying to open from?
zenrain
Hbrooks2, I don't believe that functionality has ever been available on OS X. As far as I'm aware, it's Windows only right now. See here for more information.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Hbrooks2
I suggest for Mac version, that the "Copy Local Thought URL" option should be removed from the right click menu for the Thought until new version mentioned in the other message thread addresses the issue.  Thank you.
bmac

Creating a link of a brain thought location and clicking on that link from some other application appears to open a second brain, but in my case it does not. What happens, in my case, is that The Brain flash screen displays and when I click on TheBrain icon the thought that was hyperlinked is showing in the brain.

How do I know it is not a second copy of TheBrain? Because when I delete that occurrence, the brain is no longer active on my system.

By the way, while I am at it, many times I will create a desktop shortcut containing the URL of the thought to remind me that this is an active project. It certainly would be nice if the developers could automatically do that through a right-click menu ("Create desktop shortcut of thought URL"). That would save me about three steps and I believe others would likely be able to utilize this as well.

Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i5
mcaton

bmac - thanks for the tip (Create Desktop Shortcut...).  I'll add this to our feature request list.

Also, our next generation of TheBrain addresses the way Brains can be opened and should resolve the original issue posted here of clicking on a link to a Brain URL if that Brain is already open.

Thank you,
Matt

metta
I'd like to flag both of these suggestions for V9 if they are not already being considered:
> Right click to create desktop shortcut
> Ensure that clicking this shortcut opens the current instance of the brain (rather than a new instance) -- or, better yet, have the option to toggle this one way or the other, based on the user's preference:
-- open the SAME instance of TheBrain
-- open a NEW instance of TheBrain.

Do I need to move this request, or link to it, in the V9 discussion forum?
pthompson
Thanks. I'll make sure these are added.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software