Gideon
I am new to personal brain, been using it for two months now and i think i have got a hang of it.

My question however is this. I want to use a thought as a template. Is there a way of copying a thought and pasting it to any thoughts without the pasted thought having links to the original copy?

thanks
Gideon
Thanks for the response bill

I just did a test and tried that but i still have the links associated with the original copy

e.g. you have the sequence A-B-C and A-D-E where A is the parent to both. I want B-C to be the template so I unlink A from B-C . then copy B-C and paste to notepad as described. now when i go to 'D' in the A-D-E sequence and paste I get the sequence D-B-C. Which is alright but when you drill down to C, C is linked to D-B-C and B-C. I dont want C to link to B-C. I hope this isnt too confusing.

The workaround i guess is to add a third child to B-C, say B-C-D and then delete D after the connections have been established
Gideon
Okay I think i get it. I just have to unlink from the template. that works...justs seems like a long winded process. Would have been easy to have just been able to copy the thought and paste where you wanted what's the purpose of keeping all the links to the original, that just gets confusing
Gideon
Okay, i am currently adopting my PB for david allen's GTD system. And I have adopted the natural planning method. My thought is called NPM. And the children that come off that are 1. Purpose 2.Mission 3. brainstorm 4.Organize 5.next action.

what i want to be able to do is use the above list as a template and add it as a child to any project I create.

The sequence comes when I have to copy and paste that template into many projects. By sequence i mean Parent going to child.

So if I have '1.Purpose' as a child somewhere else in my brain, rather than have '1.Purpose' existing independently (parent1-child1 and parent2-child2) I have '1.purpose' common to both sequences (parent1 and parent2 both linked to the same child)
Gideon
Hi i couldn't avoid the links so i decided to use word as a template, and copy and paste. it gives the an option to create new links
Darkstar
Gideon,

create a NEW BRAIN, and create you template thoughts in that brain.

When you want to use your template, open a new instance of PB, while holding the CONTROL key, click on the thoughts you want to copy. They'll go to the selection box.

once all your thoughts you want are selected, right click on the selection box, and select "Copy Selected Thoughts".

Now, go over to the project in your regular brain where you want to paste in your thoughts. Make sure that the project thought is the active thought, right click in the empty plex area and select "Paste Thoughts".

Your list of thoughts from your template will be inserted.
-Darkstar
Gideon
Thanks darkstar, that works. Wish there was a easier and quicker way to doing this. Think the guys at personalbrain should look into this

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software