cd

Hi all,

i hope there's hope for me as i've just lost content to about 70 thought w/ extensive notes. this is on the latest version of PB under Linux with java version "1.6.0_14" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_14-b08) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode, sharing). I've posted here since it probably isn't Linux related (well, the event leading to the corrupt db was), anyway:

Yesterday, i had to hibernate quickly in order to keep a report-view the way it was and ran into an OS-specific problem with hibernation due to a faulty swap partition under linux.

When i restarted, PB came back up as it was, and i thought everything was ok, so i kept on working. I then closed PB and when restarting it this morning, i found out that many thoughts had lost their parent links under one specific thought (not others as far as i can tell) and that the notes content of those same thoughts got lost. Funnily though, when these had jumps, the jumps survived (again, as far as i can tell) as well as their note-contents.

So I made a brainzip, tried restoring the database and checked back again. Results: nada.

I know this isn't due to PB bug or sth, but do you have any idea how i could get those ~20h of work back? From earlier versions i remembered that the notes were clear-text (rdf i think) but this doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Any other ideas? 

I'm a bit helpless here and hope for input.

Thanks!

-- 9.0.250.0 (9.0.250.0) on Mac OS X 10.12.6
   Old enough to remember Natrificial times...
cd

ah yes, also: some of the jump-thoughts to those who lost their parents lost part of their name, usually reduced to the same amount of letters, just "cut off"after 128 characters. Any chance to get back at these?

Yes, i have very long thought-names in some cases as i make extensive use of the ","-naming feature.

I've attached a png for clarification in case it helps.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Greetings

chris

Click image for larger version - Name: brain_err.png, Views: 136, Size: 36.43 KB
cd

it looks as if the entire brain has lost all thought-name information >= 128 characters.. i'm starting to grit my teeth here...

However, loosing the notes of some thoughts does not seem to relate to that. They are lost anyway but there is no relation between the to effects as far as i can see.

i'm horrified. i don't even know how to check the integrity of my brain now and fear that there's no way of getting back to some of that info.

Anyone? Thanks...

cd
the 128 character problem is a bug as i have just found out, at least under linux. don't know for mac/windows. will file this in the appropriate section.
cd

well, after the 128-character limitation has been confirmed as a bug i thought i would go hunting for another, but no chance so far. I've tried correlating the note-contents of some of the thoughts that i could recover from a brainzip backup a couple of days ago and found a lot of forced_spaces/ ampersands/ and other stuff that might be troublesome for xml-(de|en)coding within the notes so i checked if that was the problem, unfortunately i haven't found anything so far. I'll keep on trying. If i find the time, i'll cross-check xml-text-exports of 2 thoughts containing the notes that were affected.

I'm writing this here so that whoever has an idea knows where i'm at. Again: I would love input on this issue. Thanks.

cd
well, today i started looking into an "old" brainzip from pre-hibernate problems and found out that i can now safely reproduce the error with that brain simply by rebuilding the database. so it seems to be another bug. I will therefore ask in the right section because I NEED HELP WITH THIS. Thanks.
zenrain
With this issue, I would e-mail support@thebrain.com and reference this thread, including a brief summary of the issue.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
cd

Hello zenrain,

thanks for the tip! I am in the process of building a brain that makes the error reproducible and will get back with support then.

Thanks again
chris

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software