bmac
This morning while searching for information on computer purchases I started to notice many of my search results were parentless thoughts.  I thought this was quite strange because they were not parentless to begin with.  When I couldn't find the particular item I was looking for using the PB5.5 search feature I relied on the old reliable Windows search feature.  In a matter of seconds it found the item which surprisingly was in the brain folder but --  the brain search engine could not find it.

I rebuilt the brain database and then rebuilt both the instant search activation index and the search index.  Even after doing so, the brain the search mechanism still does not find this thought with an attachment within the files folder.  How can that be? 

The folder is located at C:\Users\Bill\Documents\My Brains\Computer_brain\Files\945B7D41-ED06-43CD-BA59-0E4F9A9242B9.  It contains two attachments, a PDF file and a notes file.

The two problems mentioned above -- why so many parentless thoughts all of a sudden and why can't the brain find a particular thought worry me about the integrity of this release.  This should not be happening.
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i5
Moe

bmac, Thanks for posting. The Thoughts that you found in the search that were Parentless, were they all Thoughts that were linked previously as children or jumps of another Thought in your Brain? If so, could it be that they could have accidently been unlinked when you were re-assigning them.

Regarding not being able to find the Thought that you were looking for after doing the rebuilds. Some users have reported issues with extended search on Vista. What OS are you using?

Best regards,
Moe

bmac
Moe,

To answer your questions...
1. These parentless thoughts were all connected to a parent at one time. In most cases, it was a parent thought rather than a jump thought.

This Brain was originally a PB3 brain converted to a 4.x then to 5.5.

2. My operating system is Windows 7-64 bit. I was previously using Windows 7-32 bit when I took the plunge to see how 64-bit would work.

My question is that... why isn't PB5.x finding this item in the "files" folder when it is there? In a rebuild process doesn't PB scan all of the PB folders in the 'files' folder?  Along this same line, do you have a utility that would scan folders in the files folder and report those folders that do not show as an active thought in the brain.  Now I wonder how many other folders are there where the thoughts were somehow eliminated from the plex.

Thanks for your interest Moe.  I hope this issue gets some study as it is quite worrisome.

Bill
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i5
Darkstar
Do you mean a parentless THOUGHT in the plex, or a MISSING thought from your brain but you still have the attachments folder for that though in your brain?

From the way you posted in the above message, it sounds like you have a lot of attachment folders that don't have corresponding thoughts showing in your personal brain. Did these missing brain thoughts get "forgotten" or are they truly gone?
-Darkstar
bmac
Two things are happening:

1.  PB shows many parentless thoughts which were at one time children of active thoughts and were displayed as such.

2,  Missing thoughts - at least one I know of - where the thought folder still resides in the FILES folderssection of PB.  Even with a PB database rebuild, PB does not find this folder and reinstate the thought. I will re-search the forgotten thoughts to make sure the one in particular wasn't inadvertently forgotton.  BUT - shouldn't the PB search still find forgotton thoughts?

Bill
bmac
Now after experiencing the many parentless thoughts, I decided this weekend to work with this particular brain to see if I could understand more what's happening. To my surprise, when I opened the brain for serious work on Sunday, I did not see the many parentless thoughts that I had seen before. Do I have a poltergeist lurking in my system?

This is really strange. So it's good news anyway that maybe there really isn't a problem as I had mentioned. And, I did find that the missing thought (I did have the thought folder) was actually a forgotten thought.

I learned something as well-- the PB5 search mechanism does not search forgotten thoughts. Maybe there should be a switch to have PB5 also search the forgotten thoughts, if any.

So, I am sorry for ringing the alarm bells too early, but something strange is happening and I'm not sure if it is because I am experimenting with Windows 7, 64-bit, and there is possibly some type of incompatibility between it and Java. Time will tell.

PS: drag-and-drop also now partially works. See other posts on this.
Bill

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software