bookeater
I stumbled upon very curious and interesting news in GottaBeMobile.com about new ways of interacting with mind maps by touch input and pen. There is short video on youtube which explains everything far more superior than any my attempts to describe it.

I put this up though to find out what do you think about this approach and what do you think future holds for us.
From myself as a avid tablet user I must say that sort of organic approach appeals to me very much so ( watch creation of the credits at the end!), because this solution may apply not only to these big surface computers.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2009/08/07/touch-write-surface-computing-with-touch-and-pen-input/

JosefBetancourt
This is the future and present of computing in general not just MindMapping.   The iPhone showed that it is possible in a pedestrian way.  Now the technology and economics are working their way to allow this in more situations.   Thus, any diagramatic information structure will benefit.

But, they will have to pry a keyboard from my dead fingers cause touch input of text is yuck.

--- Josef

dyslucksia
Ever tried typing on a completely non-responsive surface such as glass? You don't know where your fingers are, so you have to keep looking down at them all the time. Your fingertips get sore from repeated stabbing at a nonabsorbent surface to make something happen, not to mention sticky from when the last user placed a bun on it.
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
Darkstar

Which is why they've come up with cheap, simple tactile feedback for touch surfaces.

-Darkstar
dyslucksia
Thanks Darkstar for correcting me. I just haven't kept up with the latest on this, let alone touched one of the blighters. Once I started Googling "haptic technology", they all came out of the woodwork. Will have to try it out before PB joins the plexiosaurs.

Still not sure about whether this technology is really what is needed. What happened to the ideal upright posture needed to prevent back strain? If the tabletop is the screen, doesn't that mean we'll all end up being bent over it? Not to mention reflection glare from overhead lighting.

We already have really large LCD screens, mounted at the correct angle. We don't read with our fingers.
JosefBetancourt
Ubiquitous Computing is a related technological vector.  Here the interface is not confined to a set surface but in the things around you.  At the bathroom mirror, then it becomes your direct manipulation interface, at the microwave, then it can show your email.  Very cool.  Very doable.

--- Josef

zenrain
I'm waiting for information display à la Minority Report (movie).
Or maybe we'll be able to "jack in" before that is ever realized. God help people on the road if that is implemented. There's already enough trouble with texting.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Steeph
zenrain wrote:
I'm waiting for information display à la Minority Report (movie).
Or maybe we'll be able to "jack in" before that is ever realized. God help people on the road if that is implemented. There's already enough trouble with texting.

Don't worry.
By that time you won't be allowed to drive anymore, the car is propelled for you by your family from 1984
PB user since 1998

Mind over matter?
I don't mind and it doesn't matter.
TB 8.0.2.1 Pro on Win10.1 Pro 64bit JVM 1.8.0-112
dyslucksia
The eyes don't all have it, if you'll excuse the pun.

All you need do is couple Dragon Speaking Naturally to a little macro for automatically opening sound files attached to each Thought, and - hey presto!- a voice-directed Brain based on keyboard navigation.

bookeater
I really like that their early software offers individual customisation of size and position of each thought. I'm missing it in PB many times...
dyslucksia
Don't remember that, must have been before v4. Now that we have Expanded View, I doubt we'll ever see it again in Normal View. But why don't you suggest t? Can't hurt to do it.
Darkstar
BookEater--- I don't remember that. The old PB (3 and prior) allowed for custom sort order--- is that what you mean when you say "position"? Because the old version didn't have any view but "Normal" (although it also had "distant thoughts" which equals the current "Expand All" in "Normal" view.

Custom size? I don't recall it ever having custom size. Are you sure you are thinking of PB?
-Darkstar
bookeater
@Darkstar
Yes by saying customized position I meant custom order. But I really mean position not only order. Let say that thoughts can assume positions on the plex preset by you in any desired place. This constallation of the thoughts would be saved in reference to the active thought - so that would meant that if I choose another active thought my thoughts can end up in completely different place(though still exactly as I wanted them to be).

As for customisation of thoughts I was thinking that it would be great to be able to choose custom fonts, size, color etc. for individual thought.
However the most ultimate customisation to me as an avid tablet pc user would be to handwrite each thought what would make it absolutely unique (in my eyes at least).
I use PB for lot of study and memorisation and what I miss most in this nearly perfect tool is to make the plex to feel less generic and more organic and custom somewhat like writing on the the simple piece of paper.
That's why I got excited about this new project

Darkstar
BookEater--- I understand.

Actually, both of those items have been requested by users in the past. I think there is a User Voice item for the first one, at least.
-Darkstar

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software