Netsaver
Hi gentlemen,
here a feature request that should facilitate building up complex
brains for all those want to categorize ideas in detailed way.

As you know one of the features distinguishing PB form other info
organizers is the multi-parental capability, that is every node may
have many parents. The link types help to clarify the differences
in the relationships with different parents, anyway any set of 'things'
may be categorized in many ways.

An interesting possibility is to 'couple' two independent trees or groups, generating all the combined sub-classes, e.g.

- Countries (group A): USA, UK, France, Germany, Italy ...
- Public services (group B): School, Hospitals, Transports, ...

Crossing the two groups of thoughts would led to:
- School in US, School in UK, School in France,....
- Transports in US, .... Transports in Italy....
(group A x group B)

Each of this new thoughts would now have a specific note description, moreover it would be crossed with another group. Obviously 'School in US' would be linked both under 'School' and under 'US'.

My proposal is to give to PB the capability to couple two 'parent' thoughts, generating the derived combined thoughts automatically (with great relief for this kind of user, think how much work would be required with 20 countries and 10 public services...), for istance the user performs a multiple selection over the thoughts 'School' and 'Countries' and with right-mouse click over it, selects the command 'couple the children thoughts'.

As alternative, the selection could be performed directly over all the thoughts
to be crossed (all the countries - by all the services) or (other interesting method) over all the children derived with a given link type...

A preview of the mechanism is here given attached

Regards
Click image for larger version - Name: Thoughts_Coupling.JPG, Views: 151, Size: 68.76 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Thoughts_Coupling_2.JPG, Views: 148, Size: 24.28 KB
Is this your house?
I'm Wiston Wolf, I solve problems.
Harlan
I understand what you are looking for. It's almost like multiplying the two sets of children. This is a pattern that occurs regularly and could be automated... But what if one of the children changes - this mean you would want an update command also, which is much more complex.

I think that this is the kind of thing that may be best accomplished by extensions. Once we make the API public, this sort of thing could be built and customized quite easily.
Regards,
-Harlan
Netsaver
Very interesting, Harlan.
I didn't know a API set had been developed for PB,
how will it be released?

Can we have some information more, e.g.
is there a set of commands, a sort of primitives
for the users? Is organized as script for the average
user or as messages from other applications which
can be managed in their source code?

Can you provide us a preview of API utilization
or a quick (txt) example?

Thanks and regards
Is this your house?
Harlan
We haven't finalized the API yet, so it's a little for examples. We may opt for just a basic Java API to start, or we may go for a scripting option of some kind that can be done more casually. This is probably not for another several months, so try to be patient.
Regards,
-Harlan
Netsaver
As usual for this kinds of projects...
This is time for bug fixes in order to output a stable release,
there will be a time for new ideas to develop.
I'll try to be available for both, when the job let me do it.
Thanks for your project

Is this your house?

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software