hasi123

Hello, I have moved my brain 8.0.2.2 to my notebook with Win10. Now I had several errors and the brain ist completely deleted. There is some message, that I should restore it from some backup, but I dont know where it has this backup. 
The .brain file has lost almost of the original size and the brain itself shows something with "null" and contains nothing. Also in the error files is written "null". 
Has it maybe not the rights which it needs? I dont know how to set rights and the rights of my folders are not good. The owner of the folder is not good. Or does it need more admin rights? Or has the database not the write rights? 
Please help!

16.08.2019 15:26
Database error encountered.
SQL: SELECT MAX(id) FROM ActivityLog where brainId = ?

17.08.2019 18:58
SQL: INSERT INTO Brains ( GUID, name, ownerId, creationDateTime, modificationDateTime ) VALUES ( ?, ?, NULL, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP ); VALUES IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL()

17.08.2019 18:58
SQL: SELECT id FROM Brains WHERE GUID = ?
17.08.2019 18:59
SQL: INSERT INTO Brains ( GUID, name, ownerId, creationDateTime, modificationDateTime ) VALUES ( ?, ?, NULL, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP ); VALUES IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL()

17.08.2019 18:59

17.08.2019 19:01

17.08.2019 19:01

17.08.2019 19:03

17.08.2019 19:08

17.08.2019 19:12

17.08.2019 19:12

17.08.2019 19:15

17.08.2019 19:15

17.08.2019 19:17

17.08.2019 20:05

metta
Sorry to hear about this trouble!

Please note that TheBrain does not automatically make any backups for you. You have to make the backups manually yourself by creating a brain zip and/or by syncing TheBrain with the web client.

Unfortunately, I am not able to help with deciphering the code you shared, but I do have several questions that might help with preserving your original brain and/or troubleshooting this issue with your new installation:

> How did you move your brain?
-- Did you copy the brain files from the old machine to the new machine?
-- Or did you import a zip of the brain into your new installation?

> Do you have any recent zipped copies of your brain?

> Did you sync this brain with the web client before moving it?

> Do you still have the original copy of this brain in its original location?
If so, I recommend immediately preserving copies of this brain by:
-- (1) syncing this brain with web client (Online > Synchronize with TheBrain Cloud Services) and/or
-- (2) making a zip file of this brain (File > Create BrainZip).

This will allow you to eventually restore your brain from the zipped file or from the cloud services (webbrain).

In the meantime, we can hope there might be a chance your brain installation simply can't find the pathway to your brain since it is looking for the GUID (Globally Unique Identifier). If that's the case, someone from TheBrain team may be able to help you restore this pathway by making a simple edit to your brain's meta data file. (Fingers crossed!)

hasi123
Maybe the folder path is too long? I have created some test brain, which is running. So the program itself has correct function on this PC. Can someone translate the error log? 
hasi123

Many thanks for your answer! I have copied the files with some program like teracopy. I have some backup, which is also a normal copy of the original folder. 

Now I copy the old files oncemore to the new place with a very short folder path and maybe better folder rights. I will then try to give it a new GUID. 

hasi123

Now I have moved it again, but I have seen the error message one time more. And I have found that some older error log files (months ago) have similiar texts that there is some database error. Although the brain is now showing all content. 
Can I correct or repair the database somehow? 

metta
Hooray! Glad to hear you've made some progress! :-)

FWIW, you may not hear from TB team until sometime next week, but I hope they will be able to help you then.

In the meantime, you might want to create a help desk ticket with a link to this discussion and then attach a screenshot of the error message you are receiving now.

You might also check the utilities in your brain, and take a screenshot of the statistics so TB team will know how large your brain is:
> File > Utilities > Statistics

Hopefully this will give TB Support enough information to recommend a fix.
metta
Yes, there are some hidden utilities inside TB8 that will allow you to repair your database. However, I would recommend waiting until TB Support can comment on your existing situation, since they may be able to suggest some important steps to take before attempting a rebuild. (Just my guess....)

In the meantime, please be aware that, if TB team recommends rebuilding your database, you will probably want to check for orphan thoughts afterward using the report function, since some (or quite a few) orphans may be created during the rebuild/repair process when bad/broken links are removed.
mcaton
Hasi,

You mentioned earlier that your .brain file has dropped in size.  There is really nothing in the .brain file in v8 to begin with.  All of the important data (in v8) is in your _brain folder.

We no longer support the older v8 Brain, but it sounds like this issue may be a simple fix, so I can give you a bit more info.  If you are getting the error message to restore from the backup, there's an easy way to do this.
  • Close TheBrain application
  • Open the _brain folder
  • Rename brain_db folder to brain_db_old
  • Restart TheBrain
This will rebuild your v8 Brain database from the continuous database backup and hopefully resolve this error message.

Keep us posted!

Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software