jorgwata
Hi,
I've just installed TheBrain 8 under Windows 8.1, Brazilian localized
After several crashes, testing and reinstallations, I've discovered that if I delete TheBrain8Preferences.xml AND TheBrain8Preferences.bak (if exists) it runs OK (obviously preferences are not preserved between sessions).
Any help will be appreciated
Kind regards,
jorgwata
PS: I'm running TheBrain 8.0.1.3 under Windows 8.1 64-bit, Brazilian localized
bmac
I am also running the brain 8013 under Windows 8.1 update 1  -- 64 bit, with no problems. What exactly happens with the crash? Any error messages or Windows messages?

I wonder if those crashes would occur on an install after on a clean boot? If they do not, then maybe some other program/drivers are interfering somehow.
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i5
jorgwata
Hi,
Yes, Windows displays an error message
I do not remember what message says exactly, so I will try to reproduce the situation in order to obtain it again
I will post it here as soon as I have it
Thank you and regards,
pthompson
jorgwata,

As Bill mentioned, if you could share the error message you receive it might help us figure out the issue. Thanks.
jorgwata
Hi,
I've just tried opening TheBrain again under Windows 8.1. TheBrain crashed just after starting.
Windows showed a message like this (it is in Portuguese, so I don't know exactly words in Englisgh)

"TheBrain crashed and it is being closed by Windows.
Windows will try to discover a solution."

Any thoughts?

Thank you
pthompson
jorwata,

Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of TheBrain?
jorgwata
Hi, I didn't know that there are 2 versions of TheBrain installer.
I've installed this one:
http://thebrain.com/products/thebrain/download/
But I haven't found any indication of rather is 32 or 64 bit
Thank you!

jorgwata
Hi, just after posting message above, I've discovered a link to 64-bit installer. So, I think I've installed 32-bit one
pthompson
Can you please try the 64-bit installer and let me know if you experience the same issue?
bmac
I'm not sure I knew there was a 64-bit version as well.  Help/about doesn't mention anything about that.  How do we find out which is installed?  And, are there any advantages to the 64-bit version versus 32 bit version?
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i5
mcaton
The only advantage to installing the 64 bit version of TheBrain is to enable drag and drop from Outlook 64.  If you are not running Outlook 64 and/or you don't care about dragging and dropping from Outlook 64 - there would be no point to installing this version.

If you just clicked on the main Download button on http://www.thebrain.com/download - you have installed the 32 bit version.  The link to the 64 bit version is below this button on the download page (hyperlinked in fine print)

As a result of this discussion, I've submitted a request to display 32 bit or 64 bit in the Help/About TheBrain pop up window.

Thank you,
Matt
jorgwata
Hi,
Just in case, I've installed 64-bit version. Unfortunately, the same error happens.
I also uninstalled McAfee antivirus. Same error.
I packaged 32-bit installer using Cameyo in another PC. Same error.

I'm using a HP Pavillion x360 which comes with several pre-installed softwares. Could any of this softwares causing the crash?

Any help will be very appreciated

Thank you
mcaton
I'm just curious, can you try disabling your Windows SmartScreen?  I spoke to someone with a similar error on Friday night.  We disabled their Windows SmartScreen and now TheBrain is running perfectly.  Other programs were having problems as well and the disabling of SmartScreen cured that too.

I found some basic info on how to disable SmartScreen here:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2631-windows-smartscreen-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

Please let me know if this has a positive effect on your Brain application.

Thank you,
Matt Caton
TheBrain Technologies
jorgwata
Hi,
I've just disabled SmartScreen and... now TheBrain runs perfectly!
Thank you for your info, I think it could be included in TheBrain help or something like that
I was close to uninstalling Win8 and going back to Win7, due to this behaviour
Thank you very much and kind regards,

Jorge

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software