rlmcvicar
I upgraded last week to Version 6.0.6.1 and my system has crashed (straight) to Blue Screen (Memory dump). System ASUS i3 2.4ghz 4GB 64-bit running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Please help

Both times working with thoughts and working with attachments such as PDF and Microsoft Word 2010. The only thing new is the Personal Brain upgrade (I am running the Pro Edition).

Moe
Hi rlmcvicar, Thank You for posting. If you experience intermittent crashes where the entire application shuts down without any error message or hanging, try turning graphics acceleration to see if it helps using the instructions below.

1. Close PB.

2. Create a text file with the following two lines in it.

-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true
-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false

3. Make sure that there is a carriage return after the second line, "-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false".

4. Save the file as "PersonalBrain.vmoptions" (without quotes). Once saved, place the file in your PersonalBrain installation folder "Program Files\PersonalBrain".

5. Restart PersonalBrain.

If the issue persists, please forward us a copy of your output.log file to support@thebrain.com (referencing this post) after reproducing the issue so that we can further troubleshoot. Below are instructions on how obtain a copy of your output.log file.

How to obtain your output.log file if you are using Windows 7:

Right click the PersonalBrain icon in your start menu then select "Run as administrator", this will enable PersonalBrain to run as administrator for one session. Next, reproduce the issue. The output.log file can be found in the "Program Files\PersonalBrain" folder on your system. Please note that for the output.log file to be generated PersonalBrain needs to run as administrator.

Thanks,
Moe
rlmcvicar
I have created the file (PersonalBrain.vmoptions) as instructed and placed it in the Personal Brain program files directory.

Note: that the reported "crash" was not just the application (Personal Brain) the the actual system (Windows 7 - blue screen of death with a memory dump).

I will follow up as I have anything to report on the affects of the new files and the responsiveness of Personal Brain.

Thank You.
Moe
rlmcvicar, Thanks for following up. Usually when a machine blue screens the underlying issue can be traced back to a hardware issue of some sort. I would make sure that all your system drivers are up to date especially your graphics card driver.

Thanks,
Moe
rlmcvicar
I thank you for mentioning drivers and that "blue screen's" can be the cause of other things such as bad memory, components, and / or bad or outdated drivers.

This sequence for me started after the last update of Personal Brain and not before. Though not always perfect my system seems to be up to date (as well as anyone can) regarding drivers and especially video drivers.

The Personal Brain application has not attempted to crash since the new configuration file I was instructed to create. So this might the the issue, but not sure as of yet.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software