nimrod61
iMac Pro (2017) Mojave 10.14.6 Radeon Pro Vega 64X 16 GB
Built-In retina Display 27" (5120x2880)
2 X LG UltraFine Display 27" (5120x2880) - attached via TB3 to separate internal hubs (as per Apple Instructions).

Performing any action (something as trivial as clicking in a blank area of the flex) leads to all 3 screens flickering at least once.  Sometimes all 3 screens go "crazy" with a huge amount of flickering and horizontal lines being drawn across all 3 screens.  After a while all goes quiet until I perform some other action in TheBrain.  I have confirmed this using .59 and .48.  I have never seen this behaviour with any other app (and certainly not with version 10).

Please advise.  This situation renders v11 unusable.

nimrod61
DavidGretzschel

@nimrod61
Sounds like an extremely cool setup!
Though I wouldn't be surprised if it's a little fragile, too.

I'd check some things to make sure it's not your system. Your specs are impressive, but 3 times 5k is something that's still very new tech.
TB3 is notoriously unreliable or at least TB3 hubs are. I have some mistrust in the whole stack.
It might be that you've never observed it with TB10, because back then the graphics card was still doing fine.
My own graphics card started having trouble pushing monitor 2 and 3 at the same time, and I recently got the whole CPU/GPU and Mainboard unit replaced under Lenovo's warranty. I also observed flickering there (not quite like that and not triggerable by TheBrain 11).
I'd at least reinstall TB10 and check if it doesn't show the same behaviour today that it didn't show back then.
It's definitely not impossible that it's the software's fault, but it's somewhat unlikely from my understanding.

[as for assuming it's not your hardware getting old]
How many TheBrain-Windows are open, are they all on one screen, multiples or are they spanning over them?
Depending on that I might be able to try to do a similar thing on my 3-screen setup. This is on Windows 10 and barely a third of your pixels,
it's not like there's many people with a triple monitor setup to begin with and we gotta stick together here 🙂

One of my monitors is also connected to TB3. In my experience though, TB handles multi monitor stuff and multiple instances reasonably well.
Only thing that might give it pause is multiple virtual destkop, where I managed to provoke a crash a couple of times, but it doesn't seem related:

https://forums.thebrain.com/post/crash-multimonitor-setup-and-workspaces-10368704?pid=1310212379

At the moment I still consider myself in the "setup" phase of using my own Brain and barely have need for using three monitors with it at once, but I'll be able to push this to the limits soon.

Click image for larger version - Name: Pasted Image.png, Views: 37, Size: 68 Bytes
nimrod61
Thx for the reply.

There is nothing special about the setup - it is well within Apple's guidelines.

As noted above - this is the only time I have EVER seen this behaviour.  I am running numerous other apps (DevonThink, Curio, Mathematica, Parallels, MS Office, TinderBox, ....) with absolutely no problem.  Right now, I cannot run TheBrain at all because TB11 refuses to start  https://forums.thebrain.com/post/10436030?pid=1310860449.

nimrod61
nimrod61
Forgot to mention - I was frequently using TB10 with no issues with this setup.  Nothing has changed hardware-wise for months.  Mojave has been stable (am not going down the Catalina road for a while yet) and is fully up-to-date.  As noted above - and confirmed by other users - there is an issue with the release version of TB11 that prevents it form starting up.  I have provided the Console log on the other thread.

As someone who uses both Windows and MacOS every day (and Linux/Unix) once-in-a-while, it is impossible to draw any comparisons between the setup on the different OS.

nimrod61
DavidGretzschel
@miadonis
No you did mention it. I'm just saying that "weird monitor glitches" only occur once they do are most likely a graphics card problem, that wasn't there YET when you were using TB10 on this exact setup. So once you find a TB 11 version that runs at all and still causes those glitches, I'd at least recheck it again with TB10 doing whatever you've been doing with it. Same for the other apps. Maybe it just happened to start with TB11.

This is just what I'd do, if I was noticing that. If my monitor start acting up even if it's under seemingly unique circumstances that are created by some piece of software, I'd immediately suspect the graphics card. [and have some confirmation that I was right to do so in the past]
Are the lines only within the TheBrain-windows or are there horizontal lines being drawn outside of them, too? [I interpreted it to be the latter]

Though you might have good reason to be very sure about this, that just didn't come across right thru what you wrote. (or how I read it, in which case, my mistake)

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

nimrod61
David,

I don't think there is any misunderstanding.

When I could get TB11 running (which I can no longer do - which smacks of other problems) it was running only in the iMac Pro screen and would cause all 3 screens to flicker and draw random horizontal lines (regardless of what was displayed on the other 2 screens - for example bare desktops).  The flickering/lines are synchronised across all 3 screens.  I have spent a couple of hours running other programs - particularly trying to do graphics intensive operations (games and complex graphs, for example) and not a single flicker.  I am convinced (for now, anyway) that the problem is TB11.

Am waiting for a response from the support desk.

nimrod61
DavidGretzschel
ah ok. Good luck!

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

mcaton
Most importantly, first make sure that you are on 11.0.60. We just released this today and it is available from http://www.thebrain.com/download.

Next, we would like to see a small video of the issue?  Maybe first running v10 and then v11?

You can post here if you are comfortable doing so, or send it into support@thebrain.com.

Thank you,
Matt
nimrod61
Matt,

Movie sent to support - couldn't get it to upload here.

nimrod61
mcaton
John,

Thanks for the update. If the file is too large, you can also upload it to http://www.hightail.com/u/TheBrain and send us a note in support when it's ready.

Thanks,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software