obrugman Show full post »
obrugman
@mcaton:
I have tested the solution you suggested that is already there. But it is not the same thing: if I am in the notes field of Thought A, and insert a link to an existing or a new Thought B in the notes field, I obviously create a link from Thought A to Thought B. But if I view Thought B, there is no trace of relevant content in Thought A. The links are not bidirectional. The link from B to A could be created, but that is even extra work going back and forth, mouse movements, clicking, typing etc.
Tools: The Brain | Evernote | DayOne | Ayoa | iMindMap | Omnigraffle | OmniOutliner | Ulysses | Scrivener |
athul
obrugman wrote:
@mcaton:
I have tested the solution you suggested that is already there. But it is not the same thing: if I am in the notes field of Thought A, and insert a link to an existing or a new Thought B in the notes field, I obviously create a link from Thought A to Thought B. But if I view Thought B, there is no trace of relevant content in Thought A. The links are not bidirectional. The link from B to A could be created, but that is even extra work going back and forth, mouse movements, clicking, typing etc.

i support this, we need backlinks for the links that are created inside the note
mcaton
I can document the request, but I can't picture how the "link back" would work. 

A word in a note links to another thought (Thought X)... that part we have.  Now, Thought X can't link to a word in a note... so it would be an attachment that links back to the thought that has the note... 

Matt
obrugman
IMHO it would already be a great help if the link back was to the thought, not the note
Tools: The Brain | Evernote | DayOne | Ayoa | iMindMap | Omnigraffle | OmniOutliner | Ulysses | Scrivener |
davidby

mcaton wrote:

As proposed above by Fedja_B, it would be better to use the power of The Brain instead of replicating features designed for other systems. If adding a link to another thought in a note would link the 2 thoughts as jump thoughts, we would have that bidirectional connection right in the Plex. 

Fedja_B
mcaton wrote:

A word in a note links to another thought (Thought X)... that part we have.  Now, Thought X can't link to a word in a note... so it would be an attachment that links back to the thought that has the note... 

Matt

Just add all thought links from the note as jump thoughts of the current thought
DavidGretzschel

@obrugman

ah no, you can pretty much assign a keyboard shortcut to anything. But almost nothing is set up by default.
I'll publish my own keybindings plus an explanatory post within..... say twenty days. Otherwise call me a liar 🙂

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

reder
Fedja_B wrote:

Just add all thought links from the note as jump thoughts of the current thought

+1 on this, and an extension on it.

The links currently have small icons to tell if it is a link to another thought or an external link. The "link to another thought" is an arrow pointed left. So we can map it to the relationships as well:

* arrow pointed up: to a parent thought
* arrow pointed down: to a child thought
* arrow pointed left: to a jump thought

I have an example below:
links.png 
DavidGretzschel
like the idea
* arrow pointed right: a text-link that's in no Plex-relation to the Notes-Thought?

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software