wordmuse
It would be very helpful if I had a command to create siblings of the current thought. What I like to do is have the thought created automatically activated so that I can enter notes. When done, I'd like a simple command that created a sibling with the last-activated parent remaining the parent.
lunedi_hax
I agree! If you are entering a series of thoughts under a single heading and you need to add notes you have to add the note then click on the parent, then new thought, and you can write the next. It would be quicker to add the thought, insert the note and then have a shortcut to create a sibling.
wordmuse
I'm bringing this up again because I had a need for it today.  I know about adding
semicolons between thoughts to create multiple children under a parent thought.
That's great - but not the same thing.

I need to be able to create siblings without returning to the parent thought each
time I want to do so.

And if there is an objection that an item can have multiple parents, while that's
true, there's a relatively easy way to handle it. In order to get to an item, I have
to follow a path or use a search.  If the former, then let the parent simply be
per the followed path.  If I've come to a multi-parented item through a search,
let me pick the parent, return to the item and then create its siblings under the
selected parent.

I hope that's not a technologically difficult thing to do.

- Bal

danlandrum
I just had this same thing come up. I agree that if we want the sibling to have multiple parents, then we know how to do that, but it would certainly be convenient to just hit a key combo and create a sibling under an active parent. 
OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
pthompson
danlandrum wrote:
I just had this same thing come up. I agree that if we want the sibling to have multiple parents, then we know how to do that, but it would certainly be convenient to just hit a key combo and create a sibling under an active parent. 
\

Dan, 

This can be done. There are built-in accelerators for creating child, parent, and jump thoughts.
wordmuse
Patrick,
Yes - we can create parent, child and jump thoughts with keyboard shortcuts. What we cannot create with them (to my knowledge) are siblings. I can obviously do this (kind of) with a mouse by clicking the child gate of the active parent. What I want is for the active parent to be assumed and then a sibling is simply a child of the active parent and sibling to the other children of that parent.

I'd love to be shown that I am mistaken.

Oh - and Happy New Year to TheBrain community. [smile]
- Bal

PS - This in no way would prevent a thought from being a member of many different families (having lots of different parents).
danlandrum
Patrick,

Wordmuse did a better job of communicating what I was trying to convey. We are unaware of an existing method to create siblings from the keyboard that doesn't involve interacting with the parent by arrowing back up, or using the mouse to pull down on the child gate.

OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
wordmuse
Thanks for the confirmation, Patrick.

In various mindmap tools, you simply press [Enter] and a sibling is created.  Other than the
fact that in TheBrain, you can have more than one parent for a given node (but only one
active parent at any one time), it seems that the concept and implementation of creating
siblings should be similar. The fact that it's not makes TheBrain less smooth and experience
than it could be.

I acknowledge there may be big technology hurdles that prevent doing it, but if it could be
done, it should be done.  Just one enthusiastic user's opinion. [smile]

- Bal
enkidu
Hello Wordmuse

excuse me if I'm over-meticulous but : what do you call a "sibling" in TheBrain ?
I know what a sibling is, both in the english language and in mindmaps.

But the Brain has : thoughts with 1. parents 2. children 3.jump links

"siblings" are thus 2 thoughts that share a parent. They dont even need to be linked by a jump.

I'm just trying to understand what you & danlandrum are trying to do, 'cos I'm missing something.

cheers
enkidu
danlandrum
enkidu,

Here's the scenario. Press command + down arrow (I'm on a Mac) from any thought. Type a name, and you've just created a child. If you'd like that child to have siblings, there is presently not a way to create one without arrowing back up to the parent or using the mouse and pulling down on the parent's child gate. We also understand and use the multiple child process of using semicolons. However, a user doesn't always know they'll need additional siblings. It would be very useful to be able to hit a keyboard shortcut from a  child and create an additional sibling, even if it is only under a single parent.

OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
enkidu
OK, gotcha

thanks
enkidu
wordmuse
It's good to be on the same page. [smile]
Thanks, danlandrum.

Hopefully, the folks in development can spare a few thoughts,
or better, lines of code, on making this happen.

- Bal
pthompson
I understand what you mean now and, at the moment, the quickest way of accomplishing this is to navigate back up to or drag from the parent gate, as you have both mentioned.
wordmuse
"at the moment"

Hope springs eternal. [smile]

Best Regards,
Bal

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software