rengel
How long does it take to create a brainzip?
(I know, it does depend on the number of thoughts! Some numbers would suffice.)
Why is there no sensible progress indicator?
First, I saw 'Exporting...' without an indicator.
Then, after about four hours I saw 'Exported 560.480 thoughts...' (Yes, it is that big.)
Why does it take so long?
And in the end, I didn't find any *.brz file in the folder where it was announced to be.
So the backup failed.
Reinhard, TB 11.0.98.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
mctrexler
@rengel 

Out of curiosity, how large is the Brain?   I'm dealing with only 100,000 thoughts, but a 50 GB Brain, and it takes quite a while.  There is a progress indicator, although as you note it doesn't tell you much about "% of time remaining."  Presumably because TB doesn't actually have any idea how long a BRZ will take until the BRZ is actually done.  I will do a backup today to get a current number to play with and post it.  

Mark
metta
@rengel ~

Good luck with getting this backup issue resolved!

In the meantime, it looks like you may have set a record for megabrain size -- and I'm curious now:
> When did you start building this brain?
> What version of TheBrain were you using when you created this brain?
mctrexler
So for my 120,000 thought, 44 GB Brain, it took 2.5 hours to create the BRZ file.  As far as I could tell, the "thoughts portion" was relatively small compared to the "attachments portion."  
rengel
Thanks to all for taking interest!
Just for fun I kept the backup process running overnight. It finally ended after about 19 (!) hours. And I got a brainzip file. Here are some statistics about the brain in question:

pic1.png  pic2.png  pic3.png    

I've been working on this brain for more than ten years, starting with TheBrain version 5 or so (I don't really remember), and experiencing all the upgrade agonies (was it between 6 and 7 or between 7 and 8), with this seemingly endless rewriting of the brain database.

For backups, I never relied on brainzips, but instead just copied the whole brain to backup media. Now, I just wanted to try out the inbuilt backup functionality. To me, this experience was horrible!

The larger a brain is, the more important is a reliable, robust, and reasonably fast backup (copying the whole brain structure to an external USB-Harddrive takes less than half an hour). Never had I expected 19+ hours with rather scanty progress information!!!

Maybe using a zip utility might be better. I just did an informal benchmark compressing a brain folder (about 30 GB, thoughts, links, notes, all kinds of attachments) with 7-zip. The whole process took almost exactly half an hour.

@mctrexler
If you ever plan to backup your brain to an USB stick you should pay attention to the file size limit of these sticks, due to their FAT-32 file system. Once, I was bitten by this problem when I tried to copy another brain (with about 45,000 thoughts, but more than 50 GB attachments) to a 128 GB  USB-stick. I had to reformat the stick using NTFS. But then, NTFS isn't as portable as FAT-32.

metta
@rengel ~ Good to get your update and feedback about your experience with TheBrain. Glad to know I managed to avoid the "agonies" of rewriting databases between versions 6-7. (I am came on board late in the v7 cycle.) I can only begin to imagine what a challenge this must have been....

I also very much appreciate your thoughts on alternative backup options -- and I will look forward to any updates you share on your backup strategy as my own megabrain continues to grow....since a 19-hour back-up process does seem less than ideal.....

In the meantime, I am fascinated by the stats on your brain since it seems like the percentages of notes, links and internal attachments are relatively low compared to the overall size of your brain. In light of this I am wondering how you are using your brain -- if you don't mind me asking?
> Is it largely a collection of ideas (individual thoughts) -- rather than an archive for storing files, bookmarks and more detailed notes?

Also, I'm amazed at all your link types! If you are willing, could you elaborate a bit further about how you are using these link types?
rengel
@metta
metta wrote:

...  and I will look forward to any updates you share on your backup strategy as my own megabrain continues to grow....since a 19-hour back-up process does seem less than ideal.

I will stick to copying the whole brain user directory to another disk - no more experiments with TheBrain's backup functionality. Time is too precious!
Quote:

In the meantime, I am fascinated by the stats on your brain since it seems like the percentages of notes, links and internal attachments are relatively low compared to the overall size of your brain. In light of this I am wondering how you are using your brain -- if you don't mind me asking?
> Is it largely a collection of ideas (individual thoughts) -- rather than an archive for storing files, bookmarks and more detailed notes?

Largely a collection of names, concepts, the relations between them, and web links; few notes, because the notes editor is/was wanting.
Quote:

Also, I'm amazed at all your link types! If you are willing, could you elaborate a bit further about how you are using these link types?

Most are leftovers I didn't care to delete (The way to edit link types is too tediuos.). Sometimes I tried trather extensively o use link types to map relationsships between relatives (childOf, fatherOf, spouseOf, auntOf, and the like) and to map semantic relationships (typeOf, synonymOf, antonymOf, etc.); but after a while the plex looked too cluttered; so nowadays I hardly use any link types.

As an aside: When I first looked at the announcements of TheBrain 11, I lost my faith in the ability of this company to innovate. Creating yet another editor is sooo backward. They are touting features as 'innovations' that other product's editors (i.e. OneNote, Evernote) have provided for years. It looks as if they are trying to build yet another bigger mousetrap. Real innovations would have tried to move TheBrain closer to 'semantic data processing'. IMHO, TheBrain needs more tools and functions for processing RDF, OWL, SKOS, and the like to make it a better tool for knowledge engineering.
And the API that has been promised for more than a decade is still missing.
But these are just my opinions...

metta
@rengel ~ Thanks again for your additional feedback. I appreciate your confirmation of your preferred backup strategy and your clarification about your use of link types. (I use them sparingly, too, for the same reasons.)

Very interesting, too, to learn more about how you have been using your brain, and I share your concern about all the note editor changes in v9/10/11 (since I still prefer the note editor provided in v8).

Thank you also for sharing your thoughts about the value of semantic data processing and the benefit of having an API.
mctrexler
@rengel 

Until TB11 I've always backed up my Brains with Foldermatch which syncs changed files. Much faster for a large GB Brain (and totally reliable).  I suspect you're aware that none of these strategies works for TB11.  According to TB BRZ (and web) are the only backup options.  

I'm rather puzzled by your backup time of 19 hours for a modestly-sized Brain.  Unless the backup time goes up exponentially with the number of thoughts and links (which I doubt) it's hard to understand what would take so long.  

Mark
GaryW

@rengel @metta @mctrexler 

For comparison purposes, below are my stats. As some of you know, I don't store many docs in TB since I use Evernote as my primary repository and create TB links.

It took 10 minutes to create a 2.14GB brz archive.The brz was generated on my iMac TB10 desktop app.

The rather quick archiving time might be one reason for not "putting all eggs in one basket" and using TB in a OSFA (one size fits all) approach. I also find TB on my iPad and iPhone has a snappy, no lag response. In fact, I prefer conducting TB searches on my iPad over using the iMac desktop app.

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 9.40.15 AM.png 

Life is what happens when we are busy making other plans.

2019 Mac 3.1GHz i5 16GB RAM: Catalina v10.15.5, Safari v13.1, Chrome 83.0.4103.97; 2018 iPad Pro: iOS v13.5.1

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software