mctrexler
I'm trying to explore the best ways of developing a customized informational dashboard into the Climate Web.  I think that thought icons are a way to do this, using the icons without much text.  I've put together an example here:dashboard.png 

Not too bad, but doesn't have the "dashboard" look.  Anyone have any ideas on how I might get more of a dashboard look.  Could probably create something in Expanded view?  But that would take a lot of work to always be modifying.  

Suggestions?

Mark

zenrain
Honestly, I would hold off on this. 
I can't think of a way to do it cleanly in the plex. In the Live Website Links thread, Patrick indicated they are planning it for all websites in WebBrain. This means you could have a Thought called Dashboard and create a webpage that holds the dashboard images. Then you could hyperlink to that page, and as long as it's the only attachment, will render in the Notes section (or whatever they end up with). 

Of course, your guess is as good as mine on when the big v9 rollout is coming, so it depends on how soon you need it. 
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
PaddyVA
Mark, I like the icons that graphically indicate the content; could make browsing very fast.

For a more conventional dashboard, take a look at http://www.netvibes.com/en#Home -- you could have each block connect to a specific thought in TB.  This might introduce a lag, compared to working directly in TB, but if you want the classical graphical look of a dashboard, this might be a way to do it.

Pat
mctrexler
Pat, thanks for pointing me to Netvibes.  I'm not sure it could effectively interface with TheBrain as a dashboard, and it would be a lot of work at the very least (since the relevant thoughts are always changing).  But Netvibes looks very useful for helping us track the many websites and blogs we're trying to track for the Climate Web!  

Mark
mctrexler
Here's our latest mock-up of a dashboard in the Climate Web.  You can actually get to it here: https://webbrain.com/u/18f6   We're thinking that there could be dozens - thousands of such dashboards in the Climate Web, and we're experimenting whether that helps address the immediate aversion/drowning feelings that most people get when entering a complex Brain.  dashboard example.png 
zenrain
Several things I've noticed:
  • Mousing over the icon takes quite a bit o' time before it will embiggen. Also, the first time it goes full size sometimes it will appear off the screen or in the corner of the screen, especially if you are activating a thought image of a child thought (image example at the bottom). Letting it collapse back to the thumbnail and then re-mousing over will center the image. This looks to me like a WebBrain issue, but pointing it out because it makes it harder to use (sorry [frown] )
  • There's no text, so I don't know what I'm mousing over until it's expanded. This means I have to expand each one to get an idea of what it is. You should consider adding text so people can get an idea of what they want to see.
There's some really good information in the dashboard, but the time it takes for the image to expand really makes it hard to use. Adding some brief text will help, but I really think you will be better off waiting until WebBrain gets html page previews in the notes.
Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 2.22.12 PM.png 
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
mctrexler
Thanks Zenrain.  Wasn't able to replicate the thought showing up outside the screen, but will keep an eye out for that. 

Had intentionally kept it text-free to avoid being visually overwhelming.  Will test with potential users what the balance might be between no text and too much text.  Perhaps a couple of keywords.  

Agree re the speed of pop-up.  A big problem.  Patrick has said in the past that the speed of pop-up is affected by the size of the thought icon file, since what you're waiting for is for it to download.  I'm not actually sure that's true, since I'm not noticing a huge difference between a 15k thought icon and a 600k thought icon.  Any insights?  Also still trying to figure out how to consistently get the smallest possible thought icon sizes when doing thought icon captures.  Actually, that's not quite right. They seem to be all over the map and I have no idea how to change that!  

Will definitely look forward to active feeds, although that's only relevant to 1/4 of the thoughts in the dashboard.  So will continue to see whether this idea can be developed, despite Webbrain.   I wonder if there is some other interface one could use as the dashboard, with links into the Webbrain (certainly not totally desirable either, but if it would address some of the problems).  

Thanks,

Mark
mctrexler
Here's the next (significantly advanced I think) iteration of an over-arching climate risk dashboard in the Climate Web.  https://webbrain.com/u/18i5

What's interesting about this dashboard is:

1.  We're able to convey a lot of information without the user even having to go deeper into the Brain AT ALL.  This could be very helpful given the prevailing phobia of TheBrain's interface.  
2.  We're able to convey this information via:
     a. The thought text, albeit short.
     b. The thought color (via Types). 
     c. The thought label 
     d. The thought icon (providing an up to date synopsis of the each variable)
     e. The Notes field (providing background introduction to each variable).   
3.  You can jump from this dashboard to subsidiary dashboards (e.g. the carbon pricing variable) with one click, again not have to expose yourself to TheBrain's interface, and be able to convey a whole new level of information detail.  

We'll be beta testing this dashboard approach with users.  Comments and suggestions welcome!!! 

Mark

dashboard.png 

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software