metta
Given the compatibility issues between the notes in v10 and v11, there may be a few brains I would like to preserve in an accessible v10 format before working with them in v11.

In light of this, would the best solution be for me to simply import my most recent backup of a v10 brain into a new v11 brain?

I realize this means the GUID of the imported brain would be different from the original brain -- but I'm also assuming this strategy would allow me to access 2 versions of the same brain on the 2 platforms without overwriting the notes in the old version with notes edited in the new version:
> the old GUID I could access in TB10 (for review/archival purposes only) and
> the new GUID I could access in TB11 (for ongoing development)

Alternatively, if I wanted to preserve the GUID of the original v10 brain, I suppose I could import my most recent backup of this brain into another new v10 brain for review/archival purposes only -- and then I could use the existing brain (with the original GUID) in TB11 for ongoing development.

Any other thoughts or recommendations on:
> a better (simpler) strategy for preserving an accessible archive of a v10 brain?
> other considerations I should take into account in creating an accessible v10 archive?
wordmuse
I'm unfamiliar with GUID - other than it is some kind of internal ID used by TheBrain (is that much accurate?) and how it relates to the topic we are discussing.

I'm thinking of testing TB11 by backing up my TB10 brain and importing the backup into TB11. My main work would continue with TB10 while TB11 becomes a more mature product.

~ Bal
metta
@wordmuse ~

You are correct. GUID is a "Globally Unique Identifier".

The GUID is significant in terms of shared brains in the web client because a change in the GUID will change all the URLs for all the thoughts in the brain.
> The general recommendation is to avoid changing the GUID for publicly shared brains if at all possible.
> For personal brains, this may be less of an issue, unless you have lots of your own personal links (browser bookmarks, etc.) into the online version of your brain.

You can read Matt's feedback about the impact of GUID changes on web links in this forum discussion from last year.

I confess I am not fully aware of the impact of a GUID change at the local level, in terms of your brain folders, etc. However, I suspect that the situation you described here might be the result of the GUID change that occurred when you exported your brain from TB10 and then imported it into TB11.

My understanding is that all of our v10 brains are directly accessible from the brain list in v11 which means that no export/import would be required when you are ready to begin work in TB11

Until then, if I were you, I would just keep working in TB10 (with your existing brains) until you ready to start working in TB11, at which point, you can simply open your existing brain from the brain list in TB11, and then start working with an unchanged GUID  and no change to your existing folder structure.

(Hopefully someone from the TB Team can confirm whether my understanding is correct or not.)

In the meantime, I would continue backing up your TB10 brains while working v10 -- and then back them up one final time before opening them in v11 -- just to be on the safe side.

I, myself, plan to work in a test brain in v11 until most of the Alpha kinks are worked out -- and then I may switch to working on my v10 brains in v11 since the note editor is so significantly improved and the plex speed seems much, much faster.

(Migrating my megabrain from v8 may come later on, once a few more enhancements are made to the tables in the new v11 note editor.)
Harlan
metta wrote:

My understanding is that all of our v10 brains are directly accessible from the brain list in v11 which means that no export/import would be required when you are ready to begin work in TB11

Until then, if I were you, I would just keep working in TB10 (with your existing brains) until you ready to start working in TB11, at which point, you can simply open your existing brain from the brain list in TB11, and then start working with an unchanged GUID  and no change to your existing folder structure.

(Hopefully someone from the TB Team can confirm whether my understanding is correct or not.)

That is correct @metta.

My recommendation would be to create a backup of your brain just in case, then proceed with opening in version 11. The steps described by @metta at the top of this thread would indeed work but will result in two copies of your Brain, which will almost inevitably lead to confusion. For this reason, I don't think this is a good idea.

In the event that you were to start using 11 and then decide that you had to go back to 10 for some reason, the worst case scenario would be that changes you made in 11 to notes would be unavailable to you in 10. But even if this were to happen, you could always open the Notes.md files from 10 to access those new/modified notes.

Regards,
-Harlan
metta
Thanks for confirming,  @Harlan. Appreciate your prompt reply and helpful confirmation.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software