ratthing
There has to be a way to create a link to a folder as an attachment to a thought?

Whenever I click on the + sign in the attachment view and then click on "Link to File" it opens up a Finder window and if I click on a folder in the Finder window, it simply opens a new view into that folder. 

Is there a away to select a folder as the target of a link in attachments? 
RomusD
Drag and drop from the Finder to the Plex of Brain as a new thought or in the case of an existing thought on the attachment list at Notes
macOS 10.11.6
TheBrain 9.0.144
danlandrum
Romus, I don't think that function has been enabled yet, at least not on Mac Sierra. Can someone on the team confirm?

OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
pthompson
Hi all,

Drag and drop of folders DOES work if you have Preferences > UI > On drag and drop of files: Link to dropped files selected. If you have the option to Move dropped files selected, the drag and drop of folders will not work. You can, however, always import a folder via: File > Import > Folders.
danlandrum

Thanks, Patrick, note that the import dialogue defaults to creating a new brain with the imported files and structure, rather than importing it under the focused thought. No big deal, I just didn't notice the option the first time.

Having read Harlan's comments, it sounds like symbolic links to folders outside theBrain structure are not on the horizon. I used to use this quite a bit in TB8 for managing workflow in magazine production where the folders need to remain outside theBrain. I'll miss that workflow, but will come up with another.

OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
mcaton
Thanks for your feedback Dan.  We'll keep that in mind if we get a lot of feedback to bring back the Virtual Thoughts.

Also, we've tried the import settings a few different ways.  Keeping a consistent default to create a NEW Brain with the import seemed the best option.  It's easier to fix/edit/delete an "oops - I imported to a new Brain" than "oops - I imported to may MAIN Brain!"

Thanks,
Matt
Kriggel23
pthompson wrote:
Hi all,

Drag and drop of folders DOES work if you have Preferences > UI > On drag and drop of files: Link to dropped files selected. If you have the option to Move dropped files selected, the drag and drop of folders will not work. You can, however, always import a folder via: File > Import > Folders.

Just tested on .137 - well, I "works" this way.
BUT: if you drag a folder from Finder to TB9, holding down Ctrl and Shift, the cursor changes to a curved arrow. In TB8, I am used to read this as "create a link to ..." (whatever you drag onto TB8). In TB9, however, the file(s)/folder(s) are moved, no matter what action the cursor indicates.
I've set the Preferences > UI > On drag and drop of files to "Move dropped files" (as I've set it in TB8), and I do not want to change this preference any time I want to create a link to a folder.

Kriggel23

mcaton
I see what you mean about switching the defaults and then trying to use the CTRL+Shift feature.  I'll document a request for the same v8 behavior in v9.

Thank you,
Matt
dcb_oz
My 2 cents as it's taken 15 minutes to work out what was going on. The CTRL/Shift functions, whilst showing icons suggesting standard Mac OS behaviour, don't. I want to be able to link to a folder containing my tax information so that it's local on my laptop but won't share to the web. The UI here is misleading and the menu is the place to have the default setting, not the 'always' setting.

Another 2 cents. Bring back virtual folders.

PB 9.0.15.0
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.3
metta
I personally haven't done much at all with Virtual Folders in V8 since I had some (serious) problems when I first tried using them.

In lieu of using Virtual Folders, I switched to attaching a folder shortcut to a thought. Usually I just drop the folder shortcut into the plex, and it does the trick: Thought is automatically created and automatically named with easy (attachment) access to the folder in question.

(FYI, the behavior is identical in V8 and V9 on my Win7 installations.)

Will this strategy provide sufficiently similar functionality in V9, or am I missing something here?
mcaton
To be clear, since this thread originated, we've updated the options/settings for bringing in links/copies/moved files:

macOS modifiers:

• Link to file = Ctrl
  • Move file = Cmd
  • Copy file = Alt

Windows modifiers

• Link to file = Alt
  • Move file = Shift
  • Copy file = Ctrl

No plans for bringing Virtual Thoughts back, but would you prefer that folders follow the same rules as displayed above?

Thanks,
Matt
Harlan
I believe folders and files follow the same behavior as files. If not, this should be documented as a bug.
Regards,
-Harlan
mcaton

Indeed - Folders are following the same rules as file. They can be Moved, Copied or Linked - depending on your preference.

Thanks,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software