Peter_Sanders
Hi

I would like to export my brain in a manner more suitable for import into another program.

I do not know very much about xml/html/css/style sheets but I'd like to try. The current sitebrain html and simple html do create good output, however there are many "duplicate" texts within the imported file (import to Help and Manual).

I fiddled with the existing output "templates" and achieved something closer to what I wanted, but still not correct.
So how where or what do I need to change to improve my output control and where can I find a little help to try and improve the output to suit my needs.

Are there any other output options/templates created by other brain users?

Kind Regards

Peter Sanders
zenrain
There are several other options rather then a sitebrain export.
If you are using Pro, you can choose File > Export > To Folders. This will create a folder with the thought name that mostly mimics the PB hierarchy. Within that are your attachments to the thought, and if you have notes, an html file containing the text.

You can also select multiple thoughts, right-click the selection box and choose Copy as Text Outline with Notes. You can paste the output to a text file, or word document. The notes will lose all formatting (as it's a text file), and it won't include any thought attachments.

Finally, in this thread, CD created a perl script that exports to a browsable .html file. If you are using windows, it requires a few extra steps (installing strawberry perl and some CPAN modules, but it's pretty slick once you have it up and running. Once again, attachments aren't included, just thought names and notes.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Peter_Sanders
Hi Zenrain

Thanks for the info.

I have already tried the folders method too. The ability to import PB thoughts into Help & Manual is something in which I have been trying to get EC Software (H&M authors) and TheBrain to collaborate.

Neither want to do anything to help the other, though this is not a deliberate denial of assistance, just (as I see it) a low priority if at all.

I do not have the experience with XML/HTML and the various methodologies to investigate this potential myself.

PB exports XML etc and H&M imports and works with XML data. It seems obvious to me that if the two companies communicate with each other I believe they could quickly come up with a mutually suitable template.

My initial intention was to utilise PB as an input process to help file creation. PB running in the background while the application is used by the developer (an quite possibly by the end user) when a "thought" about help occurs, then that thought is added to the PB brain.

At the very least, this would provide a useful and quite accurate list of help topics for import into H&M. H&M could then be used to fill out and modify/add to the help topics as required. H&M can then generate the preferred output, web help, chm or PDF etc.

Possibly end user created PB help could be merged/imported into the application topics brain for import into H&M

Apparently H&M has (in the past) considered the use of mind mapping software as a form of input to H&M, however they said "if" anything was to be considered in the future, they should go with the market leader Mind Manager.

I do not have a problem with this potential approach, but such an import process AFAIK would be more involved and be more time consuming than what I perceive to be a relatively simple XML (or CSS/HTML) approach.

Do you have any powers of persuasion with TheBrain people?

Kind Regards

Peter Sanders
zenrain
Ah, I see. I'm afraid I'm not much help then.

No, I don't have any powers of persuasion with them, sorry. Hopefully some other people who use Help & Manual will see this post and add their voice to your cause. I'd also recommend entering something in UserVoice, to cover all your bases.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software