wordmuse
I like the mindmap view. But it needs what I'm suggesting here: an easy way to use the keyboard to create siblings.

I made this request back in 2011, before there was a mindmap view. I think it's even more important now.

http://forums.thebrain.com/post/create-siblings-5469363?highlight=creating+siblings&pid=1285619611

I should be able to press a key (F5 doesn't appear to do anything, so maybe it could be used?) and have a sibling appear.

Also - while I'm at it, a refinement on this idea that comes from my use of Freeplane: When I press Enter, I create a sibling that appears below the older node.  If I press Shift+Enter, I create a sibling that appears above the older node. Something like that would be nice to have in TheBrain 9, as well.

Is there any possibility of getting a Create Sibling command?
Harlan
I reread the thread about creating siblings and understand why you want this shortcut. Two things:

1. To create a sibling now, you can simply press Arrow Up, then Cmd+Shift+Arrow Down. I'm not sure if one fewer keypresses justifies the complexity of the proposed new shortcut. We would have to explain to people which parent is going to be used and find some way to handle the situation in which there are no parents. That's a lot to explain and generally we have tried to avoid adding features that require a lot of explanation as it tends to make the product overly complex. BTW, the preference to activate thoughts on creation is helpful for situation like this.

2. It should be noted that in the mind map view, the siblings of the active thought cannot actually be seen. If you focus on a thought other than the active thought, then it makes sense, but when you are focussed on the active thought in mind map view, you would be creating a thought that won't be visible.

Regards,
-Harlan
wordmuse
Thanks Harlan,

In the Windows environment, would I be correct in inferring that the Cmd+Shift+ArrowDown is Ctrl+Shift+ArrowDown?  If so, it doesn't work.

Thanks.
- Bal
Harlan
Cmd+Shift+Arrow Down is the keyboard shortcut to create a child on macOS. In Windows, the create child shortcut defaults to F6, but you could change the preference if you wanted it to work like macOS. If you don't change it, the keys to press would be Arrow Up, F6.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
Sorry, thought you were on macOS for some reason.
Regards,
-Harlan
wordmuse
Ahh - I thought you were providing a different method than what I've been already using (F6, F7, and F8).
So - status quo.

- Bal

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software