grave

How to generate custom report for thoughts with two or more tags simultaneously?

For example, I need only thoughts with tag '1978' and tag 'july', but not all with tag '1978' and all with tag 'july'.

NorthFarm
It looks like the multiple thought and tag reports operate in "or" mode.

In "Custom report" you can click once to add a tag. If you click on the same tag again the "+" besides the thought becomes a "-". You can then make queries like "Including thougths with this tag but not with this other tag" setting + at one tag and - at another tag. But I can't see how to make queries like "Both these tags must be set".
Regards Hans Henrik Nørregaard
----------------------
TB 11.0.95.0 (Pro Combo) Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Java 1.8.0_211
Darkstar

So you have to do it in two passes then?

-Darkstar
NorthFarm

Well I can only get it to do the tag1 OR tag2 type of query and the tag1 BUT NOT tag2 type of query. I cannot make it do tag1 AND tag2.

----------------------
Darkstar

Right. You have to use multiple passes. Do the first tag, put the report results into your selection box, then do a report with the second report, and have it remove all entries in the selection box that are not in the report. Then you can tag tag those results (create a new tag and add it to the remaining items in the selection), and do whatever you want with them from there.

-Darkstar
NorthFarm
Sorry I don't follow you.

Following your description I don't get the thoughts that are tagged by both tag A and tag B but I get those that are only tagged A.

----------------------
Darkstar

Sorry about that. I messed up the directions on how to do that. I rarely do that sort of complex multipass filtering, so I screwed up doing them from memory.

Here you go. This is all tested under 5.0.4.0--- haven't had the time to upgrade to 5.5.x yet, but I'll get there soon enough.

Easy way:
The easiest way to find the child of two tags is to display your first tag, control+click on its child gate, then display your second tag. All the thoughts with a dashed border are the common thoughts. Create a new thought (or tag), and drag all the common thoughts to it, and you now have ONLY the thoughts that are common to both tags.

The long way:
  1. Create a temp thought called "After Mask"
  2. Switch to tags tab, select your Tag 1.
  3. Control Click on childs gate. (Now all of tag 1 is in Selection Box)
  4. Switch to Reports tab.
  5. Select your "Tag 2" from the reports. (Now reports shows all Tag 2 entries)
  6. Remove Report Results from Select (now all of tag 1 items that isn't also tag 2 items are in the selection box)
  7. Instant Search for "After Mask"
  8. Link Selection As Children of "After Mask"
  9. Clear Selection Box
  10. Return to Tag 1, and right click its child gate. (Now all tag 1 thoughts are in the selection box, again)
  11. Instant Search "After Mask"
  12. Select "Crawl Brain and Modify Selection" from Edit thought menu.
  13. Change "Add to Selection" to "Remove from Selection", check "childward", make sure it is set for only 1 click away, click ok.
  14. Selection box now contains ONLY thoughts that are tag 1 and tag 2. To save these results, create a new thought, and link the selection as child.
-Darkstar
zenrain
As far as I can tell there is only the OR and NOT functionality, I haven't found a way to do AND either. Hopefully this will be added, since it's just as important (if not more) to see which thoughts have a combination of tags.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Darkstar
If you unlink selection, aren't you unlinking a thought (or more) from its tag? My longer method let's you put the results under a new thought/tag, for whatever purpose you need, without distorting your starting data.

I think it is very funny that it is so much work to make up for the fact that we don't have "AND", a very basic function that the underlying database has, and is usually very trivial to pass off to the underlying database. The biggest challenge is usually making the user interface so the users understand it will be using "AND", or giving then a choice between "AND" and "OR".
-Darkstar
zenrain
Quote:
I think we should give up expecting Reports to deliver us an AND function, or anything other than OR or NOT. It's far easier to use Advanced Search (limited to tags), combined with Reports, to do this.

I think that's giving the folks at TheBrain far less credit than they deserve. If enough people request the AND functionality in the reports, I suspect they will work on a way to include it, either in a later beta, or a later version.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
grave
AND operator is very necessary!
mcaton
Thanks all.  Sounds like a strong push for the "AND" option to be included into the Reports.  I'll make sure this is on our Feature Request List.

Thank you,
Matt
NorthFarm

Put it at the top

----------------------

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software