westbroek
I just went through a lot of hazzle to upgrade to 4.2.0.7. Pasted my thoughts from one brain into another because for some reason my brain didn't want to upgrade.

Now I notice slow drawing (especially gates appear late when you have a lot of thoughts in view), frequent db disconnects (making my pins go away)...

Is the 4.2 line safe enough to use? Between 4.1 and 4.2 I thought it was now recommended to use 4.2, no?

zenrain
4.2 is still beta. It's now just not new-database-so-you-could-possibly-lose-your-data beta.

I've also had the disconnects (and there have been other threads in here on it). As far as I have been able to tell there is no actual loss of data.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
westbroek
<creates 2 additional brainzips and fires up Acronis>

Same here with the disconnects. Just became concerned.

Well, at least it doesn't carry a warning anymore

Thanks for the reply!

Darkstar
I've had the problem where my gates and icons disappear. I think that this is usually a sign that the java engine is near its limit and will be crashing soon. I find that if I exit PB and then start a new PB, its fine for a few more hours.

I haven't had 4.2.0.7 screw up my brain file (knock on wood), but I do make brainzips as a matter of course (so I can use the same brain at work and at home), so if I were to have a brain file get scrambled, I wouldn't lose too much work. If you are worried, make a brainzip of your brain every day (at the start or whatever is convenient for you).
-Darkstar
westbroek
I like that tip and it's something I do around noon these days. I run a daily backup on my machine so having a brainzip during the day keeps the amount of possible data loss very low.
Harlan
FYI, there is very little danger of losing data in PB 4.2 - it is much more reliable than 4.1 in this regard. The database disconnection message is present so that we can track down remaining problems in the code. You will not lose data due to a disconnection - you might have to restart PB however if the reconnection fails for some reason. (Obviously we are working on avoiding this happening at all... )
Regards,
-Harlan
westbroek
Excellent news

I've given up on recreating the pins. <shrug> Not too bad. Index problems are something that is hard to be aware of all the time but I simply re-index once a week.

Darkstar

Harlan, that is great to hear! Programs should never lose my information. That's my job.

-Darkstar

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software