anakon
Hi Guys,

There is definitely something wrong with the copy / paste operation in 'notes'.

I am trying to do a simple copy of text from my Windows email program (Lotus Notes) to the notes section of a thought I created in my Brain.

The paste refuses to work, and no data is being pasted into the notes area.

This is a very simple operation so I suspect that something is bad in the way the 'The Brain' is reading / working with the clipboard.

Cheers,

Adrian.
bmac
Hmmm...I just tried this and it works okay at my end.  Is there something you're during special?  All I did was to simply copy part of an Outlook message and pasted it in the current thought of the brain, version 4.127.
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i5
anakon
Hi Bmac,

Thanks for the reply.

No - I wasn't doing anything special - that's what I find so surprising. Just a copy / paste from one Windows app to another.

That's why I'm wondering if it's a clipboard issue of some sort.

Cheers,

Adrian.
westbroek
Same here, most often with web forms. I C&P to Notepad and from there onwards
fractaleater
For all versions since 4.0, a select all from one windows application (word, notepad, console app), followed by a paste into a brain thought's note, followed by a select all in the note, and then paste into notepad/word/etc, results in most line feeds being stripped.

The work around that I use for larger notes is to "View/HTML View", select all, copy, paste into a text document, save, open in web browser, select all, and finally copy wherever windows app you like.

To be honest, I'm very shocked to see a $100+ upgrade price tag on a product that I have used for years, and now can't even reliably copy paste from to another application. I have been using the brain since before 3.0, and am now using free 4.0 version while waiting for development to stabilize before I purchase the upgrade.

Any text that was in a note, and in XML format prior to upgrading from 3.0 to 4.0 is regenerated as actual markup language in the note - making copy/paste of such content generally useless.

I tried the 4.2 beta version today, and noticed that many of my date stamps that I inserted in the notes were mangled. I live in Greece, and I have specified that my location should have dates in Greek. I immediately downgraded back to the release version 4.1.2.8

When I tried to copy paste a sample date to this post using 4.1.2.8 to demonstrate how my dates look, nothing was pasted here. When I tried to past to another application, it was mangled into this: 27 Íïå 2007 9:19 ìì

This is all rather disappointing considering what is being charged for the product.

mcaton
Thanks for the note on the date stamp issue.  We'll take a closer look at that.

Regarding cut and paste into the notes, after you do an unsuccessful paste, does anything show up in the HTML View (click on EDIT > HTML VIEW)?  Can you paste into the HTML view?

Thanks,
Matt
fractaleater
Doing a quick review of the copy paste function in 4.1.3.0

For the rest of this discussion, the following test case is assumed: multi-line notepad content (type text, press enter, type text) and copy from notepad to a thought's note followed by a copy from the thought-note to notepad.

The basic problem is that line feeds are stripped. But there are also problems with tabs.

In the case of simple text, content entered directly into a thought note works as expected. But content that is copied from notepad and then pasted into notepad is stripped of line feeds. Using a more capable editor shows that the crlf has been turned into a single space char (char 20). Here is the HTML view of the thought note after it has been pasted from notepad to the thought note:

<p>this is a test. Pressing enter here:<br />
This is line 2</p>

Changing to the html view prior to pasting from notepad into a thought note causes the test case to work as expected, and line feeds are not stripped/converted.

Moving on to testing the base scenario using the tab character (either at the start of a line or in the middle of a line), and we can see that the tab character is stripped (if at the beginning of a line) or converted to the space character (if in the middle of the line).

Pasting tab indented text into the html view has mixed results. When the tab is in the middle of the line, the brain view displays a single space for the tab. When the tab is at the start of the line the viewer shows a tab. In both cases pasting back into notepad shows a tab.

The following assumes a further adjustment to the scenario using tab indented xml text typed directly into the thought-note or copied from notepad in the form:

<test>
    <main>
        <a1>
        </a1>
    </main>
</test>

Typing xml content directly into a thought note and pasting into notepad, results in tab characters being replaced by a string of 4 spaces for each tab character. Using a more capable editor shows that the string of four spaces is actually a string of four hex A0 characters. I did not test typing into the html view.

Testing the scenario by pasting xml text from notepad into a thought note results in the tab characters being striped in the brain note immediately. Completing the scenario shows the tab characters have been completely stripped from the content.

Changing to the html view prior to pasting the xml sample, results in the test case working as expected.

HanBav
I sometimes had the following problem:
Could not copy from Brain Note into MS Word. Nothing showed up in word. But if I copy to MS Notepad it works and copy and paste from Notepad to word works.
Maybe it is some special formatting (where I did not recognize anything special) that prevents the acceptance of the text totally.

... Furthermore I think TheBrain is unique
regards Hannes from Bavaria
Brain Junky V6.x Pro / WebBrain / V7 Beta /
Win 7 Prof 64 & 32, MS Office 2010 & Outlook & Firefox & IE
ChrisYoung

I am having exactly the same problem with pasting text into the Notes area. In V3 I had no problems, but in V4 the text seems to be stripped of all formating that uses tab or space.

Is this fixed in 4.2? I find this to be a major problem, as I often paste formated program code into notes and it becomes hard to read.

westbroek
Problem seems to be that the HTML notes editor doesn't want to copy to other HTML-type editors. Hence, from notes to notepad is no problem but from notes to this forum HTML is. Or from notes to EverNote is.

And no, this is not solved yet in 4.2.0.7. I still first paste to notepad, then to wherever.

Houston
Since the world seems to be moving to greater use of HTML for every purpose under the sun, I supose it makes sense to build a note function that way.  But I find that this one constantly surprises me in how it interprets what is being pasted into it.  Hadn't thought too much about it till I saw this thread - but now I realize that I simply avoid using notes as much as possible because it is a nuisance to deal with it.

One example: PB Notes records extra spaces as  &#160;  but not all fonts are alike.  I pasted a note not long ago and got a page littered with little accented a's.  Using the numeric value broke away from the HTML ruleset leading to unexpected consequences.  The programmer should have stuck with  &nbsp;  as his space character.  I also note that not all browsers or HTML interpreters follow the latest rules or necessarily show text in exactly the same way.  To look good in as wide an arena as possible, you actually need to go back to the most basic rulesets and then test, test, test.

Worst is having to have the notes window open all the time, just to know if thoughts have notes attached to them.

One of the best note managers I know of is TreePad.  If it wasn't for the fact that a tree structure eventually gets bogged down I'd probably be using that program right now instead of PB.  However, even their notes function, which appears to be rich text based, is a bit buggy, so I conclude that a really great notes function is not easy to create.

zenrain
Yeah, the state of the notes tool is pretty bad. I've ended up living in the HTML view and formatting myself. The biggest pain is outlook e-mail, which I now copy using a macro into text format (I use Macro Express on my windows box, amazing product), and paste it and then format to my liking.
Takes a little extra work, but looks much nicer.
It also helps that I predefined a lot of formatting using .css.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
mcaton
Thanks to everyone for all the great discussion here.  We definitely have some more investigation and work to do in future versions of PB.

I like the comment about having to keep the Notes window open to see if a note actually exists.  I've added a "note indicator" to our Feature Request list.

Thanks,
Matt
mlapointe
Paste seems to work fine in both directions if you select Edit > Paste special > Plain text (into Notes)

or Edit > Paste special > Paste without Formatting (into an MS document).  I imagine the same trick would work in Lotus Notes.

It's clunky and inconvenient, but it's better than transferring everything to a third application between point A and point B.

HanBav
zenrain,
thanks a lot for the tip about macro express: your word 'amazing' made me curious: It is more than this.
Hannes
... Furthermore I think TheBrain is unique
regards Hannes from Bavaria
Brain Junky V6.x Pro / WebBrain / V7 Beta /
Win 7 Prof 64 & 32, MS Office 2010 & Outlook & Firefox & IE

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software