artcanadianstyle
Will there ever be a free desktop version of 9 without the subscription? I see that there is a free version of 8
Version 9 is growing on me but I just can't afford the subscription. I could live with a stripped down version though.
Harlan
Yes, the current release of TB9 includes a free 30 day trial and after the trial will revert to the free edition.
Regards,
-Harlan
jasont
Harlan,

Is there a trick to activating the 30 day Pro trial?  I have tried several of the last releases (9.0.33 - 9.0.36) and they all immediately switch into Free Edition as soon as I install them -- not a 30 day Pro trial.  If I try to use any Pro feature, a message appears: <Features> are a Pro feature. "File attachments are a Pro feature."  "Types and Tags are Pro features."  "Advanced Layouts are a Pro feature."

Is the 30 day trial dependent on registering in TheBrain Cloud?  I'm attempting to use TheBrain in local-only mode.

FYI: In order to ensure that the trial mode was not influenced by any lingering bits, I installed TheBrain betas in a fresh Windows VM that has never had any edition of TheBrain installed previously and created new test brains.

At this point, I can only think of two possibilities: (1) The 30 day Pro trial mode is not working.  (2) The Trial mode is dependent on registering in the Cloud.

Harlan
Yes, you must login at least once. After you login you can log out again and you need not ever put anything on the cloud.
Regards,
-Harlan
artcanadianstyle
I have been using the free version but got error messages saying that there was a problem with the login username and password not matching, so I downloaded a fresh version and installed it. I logged out when I was still getting an error message, and now when I try to log in, it is blank. 
If I log into the website, I can see my data.  Now that the trial has ended, I am not quite sure how the free version is supposed to work.  I thought I got to keep my local data and that there would be no synchronizing with the website. I am good with that, but I really want to retrieve my local data.  I thought that the program would just recognize my data like version 8 always did.  I have a lot of years of data in my Brain and I don't want to lose it.  I would feel more secure if I could have my data available on my machine.  I notice that I can't log onto my old version 8 on the website.
I am just confused and want to know what I can do to have my data back on my machine....
artcanadianstyle
What happens to the attachments once the trial is over?  The free version doesn't have storage.  Is there a way to retrieve attachments?
mcaton
Diane,

Thanks for posting.  Once the free trial ends, you'll still have access to any Brains you have already created, just as you did with version 8.  You will, however, be limited in functionality moving forward.  You'll need to upgrade to a TheBrain Pro if you want to:

• Attach additional files and folders
  • Sync between Windows, macOS, iOS and Android
  • Attach multiple files to a single Thought
  • Import into your Brain
  • Have more visualization options such as Expanded, Outline and mind map views
  • Or take advantage of additional features like Thought Types, Tags and reports

Thank you,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software