pbmember

Instead of boring you with all I went through to see that a Brain I made would be synced from my Desktop to my Laptop, let me just ask if the following steps should work:

1 - I make a Brain in PB in my Desktop computer and add a few thoughts to it.

2 - I open Dropbox and drag that Brain's .brain file and _brain folder into it, then close Dropbox.

3 - I work a little more on that Brain, then close PB on my Desktop computer.

4 - I open PB in my Laptop, and wa-laa, that Brain I created on my Desktop computer appears in my Laptop too.
MAC User
zenrain
1. Create a brain in your ~/Dropbox folder on your Desktop. If you already have a brain you want to sync, drag that .brain file and _brain folder into aforementioned dropbox folder. Change your pointers in PB to the new location.
2. Open PB and edit, change, add, whatever.
3. Close PB. Look at the dropbox icon in the menubar. When the icon has changed from a box with blue circle arrows to green with a checkbox, it's synced. You may now shut down your mac, or leave open. If you leave your desktop running, do not shut down dropbox.
Note - Closing the dropbox folder is not shutting it down. Quitting the dropbox application is shutting it down.
4. Fire up the laptop. Check the Dropbox icon to make sure the green circle is there, if not it's syncin, wait until the green arrow is there. Fire up PB, point it to your dropbox location and the brain you have there. You are good to go. Rinse and repeat steps 2-4 when you go between the different 'puters.
5. Make Brainzips often. Daily. If you use Time Machine, you can relax a bit more. If you do use Time Machine and need to restore, never do a partial restore. Always restore the whole _brainzip folder and the .brainzip file.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
zenrain
Since we are discussing Dropbox in a new thread, and there may be new people glancing in, I thought I'd bring this up for anyone thinking about using this solution.

Several people from TheBrain have come onto the forum and stated that they don't recommend or support using Sync software with PB. This is due to the fact that there's a heck of a lot o' files in there, and there is a much higher chance/probability that your brain may become corrupt if you use it.

I use DropBox, and it's one of the best solutions I've found for syncing between both my machines. However I HAVE corrupted my database using it. It occured when I had PersonalBrain open on multiple computers at the same time (yes it was a dumb user issue). I think PB got into a tussle with dropbox about which file should be updated and my Database lost.
However, I recognized what I had done immediately, and since I make brainzip backups daily I only lost a few hours work.

If you do decide to use a syncing solution you are doing so at your own risk, so please make backups!

Thus endeth my public service announcement.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
pbmember
I'm also syncing a Scrivener (writing program) file, and it's working flawlessly.

The HARD part for me is REMEMBERING to have Scrivener OPEN only on one computer, which is also a problem with PB. It's MY problem....So I must make the following two things second nature to me, which I learned from zenrain:

(1) Do BACK-UP ZIPS every day, and

(2) REMEMBER to have the program open ONLY on ONE computer at ALL times.

MAC User
pbmember

zenrain, I'm sorry I didn't get this, but what did you mean when you said, "Change your pointers in PB to the new location." and "Fire up PB, point it to your dropbox location and the brain you have there." I didn't understand the pointers and point.

MAC User
Antonio68
I use Live Sync to synchronize the brain between two computer (no 2GB limit). As already stated the most important thing is to close the brain wait the complete synchronization and only at that point open the Brain in another computer. No problem if you do that. Otherwise you corrupt the brain!
zenrain
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Open PersonalBrain and make sure it is opening the correct brain in the dropbox folder using File >Open brain. You only need to do this the first time.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
pbmember

Thanks to both of you. I'm still not getting a sync with a brain. I think I'll start a new Brain and see what happens.
MAC User

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software