rhodes

I've put this in the HowTo section in case there's a simple remedy I've overlooked.

1) When there are two thoughts (A and B) with their associated children etc. in the plex, and one of them is active, the active thought's font is larger than that of the other. I guess this is to emphasize which is the active thought, but the unequal sizes annoy me and I can't find any way of making them the same size. After all, the active thought indicator is more than sufficient to indicate which thought is active. Is there a way to equalize font sizes?

2) Using the same example of two thoughts as above, when all I want to do is create links between some of the children of A and B, I can't go ahead and do this unless I first anchor all children down, otherwise the simple act of creating a link throws the rest of them all over the Plex. How can I tie them all down right from the start so they don't move?

3) Conversely, if they are all tied down and I want to drag a thought plus all its kids away from the other one, is there a way to release all its children in one move so they follow the parent or do I have to release them one by one? Manually releasing 30+ child thoughts, one by one, wastes as much time as manually anchoring them (see 2 above).

4) When I want to collapse all a thought's children, common sense tells me that I should first activate the parent thought, then click the collapse (-) tab. However, when I activate the parent thought there is no sign of the collapse tab! The only cure it seems is first to activate some other thought that is neither the parent nor any of its children, then click the parent's collapse tab, which has reappeared. But even this can result in some of its children not vanishing and needing to be collapsed manually. It just doesn't make sense.

5) Worse yet, in (4) if the thought I activate has children and parents, activating it spews them all over the plex. All I did was activate it; I had no wish to expand it as well! Now I have to go back, try to find the previous thought in (4) among all the flotsam, activate it, collapse the one I just activated and look for another thought.

6) And I don't seem to be able to use Undo to help me with any of this!

Maybe someone more experienced with using Expanded View can tell me what I should be doing instead.

Alan Rhodes
SamCox
Quote:
1) When there are two thoughts (A and B) with their associated children etc. in the plex, and one of them is active, the active thought's font is larger than that of the other. I guess this is to emphasize which is the active thought, but the unequal sizes annoy me and I can't find any way of making them the same size. After all, the active thought indicator is more than sufficient to indicate which thought is active. Is there a way to equalize font sizes?

Try unchecking Options > Preferences > Look & Feel > Shrink in Outline and Expanded View
rhodes
Ah, that worked! Thanks Sam.
Alan Rhodes
rhodes

So far no one else's replied to any of the other issues I raised. 

Here's a shining example.

I open Expanded view. All thoughts have numerous child thoughts. Without thinking I click thought A to activate it. This causes an explosion of thoughts because (I forgot that) activating a thought also expands it. I hover over it to collapse it. No collapse tab. Then I remember that if I make any other thought active, A's collapse tag will reappear. So I click thought B. Now I can collapse A's thought but - guess what? - B explodes. The only way to fix it is to create a dummy thought C with no children and activate it. Now I can close B.

Surely there must be a way to activate a thought without expanding it. Right now it's like being in a minefield.

(Added) There isn't, but it turns out that dragging a thought doesn't activate it. To collapse the first generation, it seems each of its members must be collapsed individually. Too bad if it has 30 or more. An alternative method is to click the Collapse All icon on the toolbar. However, this also gets rid of all other non-active thoughts in the plex too. Catch-22, keep savin' your View, there ain't no Undo.

Alan Rhodes

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software